Avera@Home brings together Avera’s home health, hospice and home medical equipment services under one name. View a map of all locations. Our goal is to deliver the best care, every time, for every Avera patient.
Avera@Home helps patients with home health needs such as:
- Assistance transitioning from hospital to home
- Medication management
- Therapy to restore ability to perform everyday activities
- Dressing changes and wound care
- Additional support and education to care for a high-risk newborn, or patient of any age, whose needs are great
- Bathing, housekeeping, shopping or companionship
Avera@Home offers a full range of skilled nursing, therapy and home health aide services.
Staff are experienced and trained in current nursing and clinical practices for both adults and children. Services may be short term following an illness or surgery or long term for patients with chronic diseases.
Benefits of Home Health
- Provides continuity of care from the hospital to the home
- Includes the patient and physician in developing a plan of care to meet the patient's needs
- Shortens hospital stays and prevents re-hospitalization
- Speeds up the patient's recovery and return to regular activities of daily living
- Reduces the cost of illness
- Collaborates with other community agencies to facilitate continuing care
Avera@Home offers specialized hospice services for patients dealing with terminal illness. Services are offered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hospice care attends to the body, mind and spirit with care delivered by a qualified team of doctors, professional nurses, social workers, clergy and volunteers. Care might be provided in the person’s home, or in a home-like facility, such as the Dougherty Hospice House in Sioux Falls. Hospice care includes medical and emotional support as well as pain and symptom control, helping improve the quality of life for patients and families.
Avera@Home is committed to helping people during the final stage of life's journey, providing care in the warmth and comfort of their chosen environment surrounded by family and friends. Hospice is becoming an increasingly desirable end-of-life choice because of the personal interaction with a team of caregivers and attention to the spiritual and emotional needs of the patient and family.
Volunteer with Hospice
Whatever you enjoying doing, there's a good chance there’s a place in hospice to serve. This may include:
- Time in the garden: spring planting, garden maintenance, fall cleanup
- Creativity and recreation: scrapbooking, playing an instrument, singing, baking, fabric arts, playing cards
- Helping out: reading aloud, pet care, shopping, organizing photos, home projects
- Specialty skills: hairstyling, massage, nail care, sewing and computers
- Support services: reception staffing, decorating, garden maintenance, marketing, office support
Sometimes the most important gift is simply your willingness to be present and listen to patients and family members as they walk this sacred and sometimes difficult journey. Contact your local Avera hospice program to learn more.
Home Medical Equipment
Life changes requiring the use of home medical equipment can take some adjustment for you and your loved ones. Let the full-service, licensed durable medical equipment (DME) providers of Avera@Home help you make the most of your new situation.
Work with your Avera location to take advantage of a variety of medical and health-related items for purchase or rent. You benefit from 24/7 emergency call service, as well as training in how to safely and effectively use medical equipment at home. Read more about our home medical equipment services or visit our online store to order products.
Notice Informing Individuals About Nondiscrimination and Accessibility Requirements (Section 1557)