Quinoa and chicken are two nutrient-rich, lean options for protein. Hy-Vee Dietitian Janine Albers suggests this tasty recipe for a dish the whole family is sure to enjoy.
Serves: 6 (about 1 cup each)
Source: Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2013
- 2 ½ cups lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee Select olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 (4 oz.) can Hy-Vee diced chilies, drained
- ½ teaspoon Hy-Vee black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Hy-Vee chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Hy-Vee diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup Hy-Vee finely shredded 2%-milk Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring 1½ cups chicken broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add quinoa, return to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the broth. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, red bell pepper, celery and diced chilies; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add black pepper, chili powder, cumin and coriander and sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add remaining cup of chicken broth, diced tomatoes, chicken and prepared quinoa. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 310, Carbohydrate 27 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Fat 12 g, Protein 23 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Sodium 740 mg, Sugar 7 g, Trans Fat 0 g
Get more recipes on our LiveNow Pinterest board.