Stop Mindless Munching and Plan for Successful Snacking
Whether you are striving to lose weight, manage diabetes or simply make healthier choices, you can move the needle from mindless munching to successful snacking by putting these tips into practice.
A handful of nuts provide a delicious combination of hunger-fighting protein (6g), filling fiber (about 4g), and good fats for a convenient snack with a satisfying crunch.
Hy-Vee Dietitian Anna Schroeder, has tips to put smart snacking into action:
- Choose wisely: Select snacks that will fill nutrient gaps; avoid snacks that may be low-calorie or low-fat but devoid of nutrients
- Timing is everything: Don’t wait too long between meals; it could lead to overindulging later.
- Keep it convenient: Make healthy snacks visible and accessible; you’ll be more likely to grab them when hunger strikes.
- Portions matter: Too much of a good thing can still be too much; stick to appropriate portions sizes.
- Plan ahead: Whether it’s keeping the car, desk or travel bag stocked, planning ahead can save time and keep you on track.
Try Anna’s favorite trail mix for a great work snack.
Makes 16 servings
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together. Each serving is about ⅓ cup.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 279 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 14g sugar, 3g fiber, 6g protein
Checkout LiveNow on Pinterest for more recipes.