Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, the region’s leader in behavioral health, is pleased to offer this new, innovative treatment.
TMS Therapy–Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation–is a safe, effective treatment for depression and has been changing lives for those suffering from depression throughout the country. TMS is for people whose depression symptoms have not been helped by medication, or for people who cannot tolerate the side effects of antidepressants.
Call (605) 322-4363 or email us to request a FREE patient consult or more information.
What is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?
The area of the brain that is thought to control mood – the prefrontal cortex – is underactive in people with depression. TMS uses highly focused magnetic pulses to stimulate this area, restoring it to normal function and lifting depression symptoms. TMS is approved by the FDA.
What is treatment like?
- TMS involves less than an hour-long visit every day Monday through Friday for 4-6 weeks.
- The patient sits in a reclining chair in a calming environment. The TMS magnetic coil is placed against the patient’s head.
- The patient hears a clicking sound and feels a tapping sensation on the head.
- No anesthesia is needed – patients are awake and alert.
- Patients may return to normal activity immediately after treatment.
- The procedure is completely non-drug and non-invasive.
How effective are TMS treatments?
Many people experience significant benefits. In clinical trials, 1 in 2 patients improved significantly, and 1 in 3 patients were completely free of symptoms. TMS may be combined with medication and psychotherapy for maximum benefit and continued remission from depression.
Are there any risks?
- TMS is very safe. The technology is similar to MRI, which has a long-term record of safety.
- Patients may feel some discomfort on the scalp, felt the most at the first treatment and less and less as treatment continues.
- There is a rare chance of seizures (about 1 in 30,000).
TMS Therapy in the Media
TMS Patient Testimonial
TMS has helped Abby's battle with depression.
See Abby's story
Dr. Phil: Treating OCD
Dr. Jabour discusses using TMS Therapy to treat OCD.
Watch the video
TMS Offers New Hope for Depression Sufferers.
Read the story