Provenge® Vaccine for Prostate Cancer
Treating Prostate Cancer with Breakthrough Technology and Personalized Care
The Avera Cancer Institute is the first site in South Dakota to offer Provenge®, a new vaccine for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Provenge® is designed to work differently from traditional hormone therapy or chemotherapy.
Who can use Provenge® and what are the benefits?
Who Qualifies for this Treatment?
- Men with prostate cancer that has spread beyond the prostate
- Men with cancer that is resistant to hormonal treatment
- Patients who are free of severe pain or symptoms due to prostate cancer
Benefits of this Treatment
- This treatment offers a four-month survival advantage, on average
- Minimal side effects or risk
- While PROVENGE does not cure prostate cancer, it slows the disease process without the harsher side effects of chemotherapy
- Helps men with advanced prostate cancer maintain a higher quality of life
Dr. Mark Huber, Medical Oncologist
Dr. Mark Huber, medical oncologist with Avera Medical Group Oncology and Hematology, said “Provenge has a proven survival benefit with few side effects.”
What makes Provenge® different?
The body’s immune system works to defend against infection and disease, but sometimes cancer cells can “hide” from the immune system.
Each dose of Provenge® is completely personalized to consist of the individual’s own immune cells that have been activated to identify and attack prostate cancer cells. It is the first in a new class of therapy to use this approach.
Treatment involves three infusion cycles, each given two weeks apart. Following treatment, doctors monitor a patient’s progress.
Prostate Cancer Education