Careers at Avera
Did you know...Avera has more than 13,200 employees and physicians? We are always looking for people dedicated to service and quality.
Check on the Status of Your Application
If you have already applied for a position and would like to check on the status of your application, please contact human resources. A list of phone numbers and email addresses is on the right-hand side of this page. You can expect to be contacted approximately 10 days after the application is submitted if you are selected for an interview.
We're Looking for You!
Avera has opportunities for volunteers, students, and adults looking for a career change. We also offer health care scholarships and continuing education assistance.
Avera volunteers are an integral part of our mission to provide exceptional care and service to our patients and residents, their families and visitors.
In addition to the various services and tasks that volunteers perform, their greatest contribution is the courtesy, compassion and hospitality with which they serve. With the help of volunteers, we are able to provide an exceptional level of service to those who are entrusted to us for their healthcare needs. At Avera, volunteers are needed, and volunteers are appreciated.
To learn more about volunteering please contact your local Avera facility or one of our regional hospitals:
- Avera St. Luke’s, Aberdeen, SD
- Avera Marshall, Marshall, MN
- Avera Queen of Peace, Mitchell, SD
- Avera McKennan, Sioux Falls, SD
- Avera Sacred Heart, Yankton, SD
Health Care Workforce Development
SD Health Care Workforce School and Community Development
South Dakota will continue to need more and more health care workers.
Thinking About a Health Care Career?
Whether you're a traditional student or an adult looking to make a career change, our videos can help you decide if a career in health care is the right decision for you.
If you are seeking guidance in health careers, visit http://healthcareers.sd.gov for more information.
View the South Dakota Health Care Workforce Community and School Development Toolkit.
For more information on starting a school or community workforce development project contact:
Ann Thompson, Director
Pam Lewis, Project Coordinator
SD Health Care Workforce Development Toolkit
Scholarships & Education Assistance
Scholarships & Continuing Education Assistance
- Avera McKennan ARCH Scholarship (Avera Resources for Careers in Health Programs) - The Avera McKennan ARCH Scholarship is an innovative approach to financial assistance that links scholarship money with work opportunities for students and employees majoring in certain healthcare disciplines.
- Avera Health Leaders Scholarship - The Leaders Scholarship is dedicated to and provided in appreciation for a lifetime of leadership in health care by Sister Colman Coakley, Sister Stephen Davis, Sister Rosaria Kranz, Sister Blanche Kribell and Don Bierle, Esquire. A total of three $2,000 scholarships are awarded annually. Applicant must be an Avera employee, or spouse or child of an Avera employee.
- Financial Assistance for Continuing Education - Avera supports lifelong learning and provides financial assistance for continuing education.
Frequently Asked Questions
We receive many questions from people interested in positions at Avera. Whether you are just getting started or have completed part of the application process, this helpful Q&A may answer your questions.
Can I job shadow?
A: Please contact human resources at the Avera facility where you would like to job shadow. They will be able to provide you with details about shadow opportunities available at their facility. You must be at least 16 years of age or older to job shadow.
For job shadowing opportunities at:
- Avera McKennan - Please visit the Education Department web page
- Avera St. Luke's - Please contact the Education Department at 605-622-5588
I am a nursing student looking for a part time job, is there a certain position I should be looking for?
A: We recommend for nursing students to look at positions like Patient Care Technician and Certified Nursing Assistant positions, but of course you are welcome to apply for any position.
How many jobs can I apply for?
A: You can apply for a maximum of 10 positions. Once a job listing closes, you may apply for additional positions, up to 10.
Do part time positions still qualify for benefits?
A: Yes, the position has to be at least 36 hours a pay period (18 hours per week).
How long does it take to hear back after an application is submitted?
A: Applicants selected for an interview are contacted 7-10 days after the application is submitted. Please login to your account to check on the status of your application.
Do you provide salary ranges prior to an interview?
A: Sorry, we are not able to provide salary ranges until the time of an interview.