Allergies and Hay Fever
Itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing? These are common symptoms of seasonal allergies. You are not alone. It is estimated that 50 million Americans suffer from allergies.
At Avera Medical Group ENT Yankton, we treat inhalant allergies. These are the allergies caused by airborne particles. Some of the things that often trigger allergic reactions are pollens from grass, weeds, or trees; dust mites, animal dander, and mold spores.
It would be wonderful if we could avoid those things which trigger a reaction for us, but that isn’t always possible.
What Can You Do?
Here are some things that can help you avoid airborne allergens:
- Keep family pets out of bedrooms, and bathe them frequently.
- Remove carpets or rugs from your room (hard floor surfaces don't collect dust as much as carpets do).
- Get rid of items that allow dust to accumulate.
- Clean frequently (if your allergy is severe, you may need to get someone else to do your dirty work!)
- Use special covers to seal pillows and mattresses if you're allergic to dust mites.
- If you're allergic to pollen, keep windows closed when pollen season's at its peak. Use a good filtering system on your air conditioning and heating system.
- Avoid damp areas, such as basements, if you're allergic to mold, and keep bathrooms and other mold-prone areas clean and dry.
Each type of allergy is treated a little differently, so we encourage you to come in to be examined and let us help you find the cause of your problems.
Many types of medications are available. We can help you decide what will help you the most. Some options include:
- A cromolyn sodium nose spray such as Nasalcrom which blocks the allergic symptoms from taking place.
- Antihistamines which reduce or prevent itching, sneezing and congestion
- Decongestants –either pills or sprays that shrink swollen vessels in the nose to temporarily let you breath freer.
- Corticosteroid sprays that reduce inflammation in swollen nasal membranes.
If you have questions about your inhalant allergies, call Avera Medical Group ENT Yankton at 605-665-6820.
Comprehensive Allergy Guide