Help Your Child Prepare for Hospitalization
The information below may help you prepare your child for his or her visit to Avera Children's Hospital.
- You are the best person to care for, comfort and reassure your child. Tell the staff the extent to which you want to be involved in your child's care.
- Explain to your child the reason for hospitalization using simple language.
- Be honest with your child before and during their hospitalization. If you do not know if a procedure will hurt, ask the doctor for more information.
- Reassure your child that the hospitalization is not punishment for bad behavior.
- Make packing the child's hospital bag a special activity. Ask your child what she thinks she will need. Allow your child to choose a few special toys, video games or a stuffed animal. Label all of these with your child's name.
- Plan a special event or activity that the whole family can enjoy when your child returns home.
Pre-admission tours are a great way to familiarize your child with our staff and facilities before hospitalization, and are available for children age 3-11. For further information, or to set up a tour, call the hospital and ask for the Child Life Specialist, 605-322-3600.