Child Life Specialists
Because There's More to Healing than Medicine
Because hospitalization can be stressful for a child, the friendship of a caring adult can make all the difference.
Child Life Specialists provide special expertise, education, support and continuation of normal activities, which can help make your child's stay a more comfortable experience.
We foster a secure environment for play, learning and self-expression, while promoting family involvement and peer interaction for easy transition from hospital to home.
What We Do
Our health care teams address your child's unique needs, along with those of the whole family, including:
- Age-appropriate activities in playrooms, at the bedside and in some outpatient areas help make your child's stay less intimidating.
- Age-appropriate preparation for tests, surgeries and other medical procedures. Learn more about How to Prepare Your Child for Hospitalization »
- 'Medical' play using dolls, simple medical equipment, hands-on teaching tools, books and games to teach children about their illness or injury. Learn more by visiting our People and Places You'll See section »
- Support, pain management and coping techniques.
- Sibling and peer support to assist in explaining an illness or injury.
- Scheduled pre-op tours to prepare children for surgery.
- Special events and visitors-including music and animal therapies-along with holiday and birthday celebrations.
- Bereavement support for families.
- Training and supervision to Child Life students and volunteers.
- Community resource education.
For more information about our Child Life program, or to speak with one of our specialists, Twila or Leah, please call 605-322-3629.