Services Offered at Avera Children's Hospital
Receiving care at Avera Children’s means your child will have access to all of Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center services in one convenient location, including: surgery, laboratory, radiology, imaging center, emergency department and more.
It’s all part of an approach that puts you and your family at the center of care and allows you to focus on what’s really important: the health and well-being of your family.
With 110+ beds devoted solely to the care of infants, children and adolescents, Avera Children’s includes our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, a pediatric intensive care unit, and the region and city’s only specialized child and adolescent units at the Avera Behavioral Health Center.
Benefits of Avera Children’s Hospital
- Parents and siblings are welcome 24 hours a day
- Siblings can visit babies at the bedside
- Avera Children’s prepares children for a hospital stay and helps them adjust while here
- Moms can stay in the Mother’s Nest while their babies are in the NICU
- Baby Cam videophones in the home and hospital room allow families to visit anytime
- Access to computers and Wi-Fi
- Child Life Specialists help make a child’s hospital stay less intimidating through play and education. To speak with one of our specialists, Twila or Leah, call 605-322-3629
- Families receive pagers so they know when their child is in recovery. Pull-out couches, meals and snacks and laundry facilities are available
Our pediatric unit is designed as a colorful, kid-friendly and family-centered environment. There's a play room with lots of toys and games, and each child gets to visit our "Treasure Chest" to take home a special prize after their stay.
Children also have access to free family-friendly movies on demand and games. We have special programs like developmental play and pet therapy to comfort and engage children during their stay.
We serve kid-friendly meals. Please know your child has access to a variety of snacks 24 hours a day, seven days a week during their stay.