Arthritis of the Knee
Arthritis occurs when the cartilage wears away from the adjoining bones that form the joint.
- Joint pain
- Decreased strength and range of motion
- Wear a brace for support
- Exercises to increase range of motion and strength
- Pain medicine such as aspirin or acetaminophen
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation
- Surgery may be necessary and can include several options, including total or partial knee arthroplasty to replace the damaged cartilage with metal or plastic. An osteotomy cuts the shinbone or thighbone to improve alignment.