Compression Fracture of the Spine
Compression fractures in the back occur when vertebrae in the spinal column break. This can be caused by a fall or other trauma, osteoporosis, or tumors.
- Severe pain
- Fractures due to osteoporosis may cause no symptoms at first but over time loss of height, stooped posture and back pain may occur.
- Bed rest
- Back braces, though this can further weaken bones
- Physical therapy for improved movement and strength
- Balloon Kyphoplasty to repair fractures
- A spinal fusion joins two or more vertebrae together