Scoliosis is an abnormal curving of the spine. The cause of scoliosis often is unknown but is most commonly diagnosed in children 10-15 years of age.
- A tilted head that doesn’t line up with shoulders
- Uneven shoulders and/or hips
- A protruding shoulder blade
- A curve in the spine
- Braces can be used in children with curvatures between 25-40 degrees and who are still growing.
- Surgery is suggested for curvatures of more than 50 degrees and often includes the placement of rods or other devices to straighten and support the spine.