Skip to Main Content

Donor Services

Organ Donation

Kidney transplantation is the best treatment for kidney failure. Since 1993, the Avera Transplant Institute has performed over 300 kidney and pancreas transplant.

Bone Marrow Donation

Each year, thousands of Americans are diagnosed with life-threatening diseases such as leukemia or lymphoma, for which a bone marrow transplant may be the best and only hope for a cure. However, only 30 percent of people will find a suitable donor within their family. For the remaining 70 percent, an unrelated donor with a matching tissue type must be found.

It is an easy two step process to be placed on the registry:

  • Complete a registration/consent form consisting of contact information and a few health history questions.
  • Give a cheek swab sample to collect cells for tissue typing.

If interested in becoming a possible donor or for more information, please visit

Other Donor Services

Learn about some other donor-related services in the area.

  • Visit Donate Life America to learn more about registering to become a donor and how you can help.
  • The South Dakota Lions Eye Bank accepts over 500 corneas for transplants each year. This unique opportunity has lead to improved vision for many people in the area. You can learn more by calling 605-373-1008 or by following the link to their website.
  • For blood donation inquiries, please call the Community Blood Bank at 605-331-3222 or 605-877-3070.
  • If you are a resident of South Dakota and possess a driver's license or I.D. card, follow the South Dakota Department of Public Safety Driver Licensing Program link to complete an organ and tissue donor registry form.
  • HelpHOPELive is committed to educating the public about the critical need for organ donation and helping patients in need.

Donate Life America

In celebration of National Donate Life Month, Donate Life America (DLA) launches a new national Web site,, focusing on providing quick and easy access to state donor registries. The site features a new interactive map of the United States that links directly to state donor registration pages.

Learn more

News & Awards

We are proud of the local and national recognition our transplant programs receive. Here you can learn about the latest Avera Transplant Institute news, accreditations and awards.

Read more