Continuing Support for Your Baby
At Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, our special care focuses on providing continued support for breastfeeding success for infants receiving care in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
We offer breastfeeding support
This breastfeeding support includes several dynamic aspects:
- All Avera Women’s Center and NICU nurses have 20 hours of education in breastfeeding, with access to IBCLC support as needed
- Lactation consultants are involved in weekly care conferences for all NICU babies
- Accommodations for Kangaroo Care, which results in increased interaction and skin contact with infants while they are hospitalized
- Bedside and group education for families regarding infant care
- Visiting hours to accommodate your family’s busy schedule
- Sibling Sitter services to assist parents in providing care while having siblings interact with the new family member
For families who must travel to be with their infants, we provide:
- Rooming-in facilities and a family room built into each unit to accommodate families as they adjust to their newborn’s feeding needs
- Accommodations for mothers to stay overnight so they can nurse during the night; mothers’ meals are provided
For questions or assistance, please contact Breastfeeding Support Services at 605-322-4490.