Time is of the essence, especially when you are recovering from surgery or an accident. At some point in your recovery, acute hospital care is no longer necessary; however, you may not be physically ready to go home.
Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital is committed to helping patients get back to their lives as quickly and safely as possible. A swing bed program may be the step that will help meet your health care needs.
24 Hours/7 Days a Week
Transitions From Hospital
Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital's swing bed program is designed to serve as a transition between acute hospital care and discharge to home, home health or a long-term care setting. Examples are:
- Recovery from major surgery, joint replacement, vascular or abdominal procedures
- Repeated hospitalization
- Recovery after a major accident or stroke
- Pain management
- Wounds that are not healing or need special care
- IV therapy
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy after a prolonged illness
Swing Bed Services
Physicians, nurses and therapists provide support and comfort to you and your family by offering a full range of services, which may include:
- Working to restore your independence by providing education and training to avoid pain and fatigue while performing tasks.
- Assessing your needs for special assistance devices.
- Teaching you breathing techniques and exercises to promote optimal breathing.
- Assisting you with interpreting and remembering written and spoken statements, and expressing your thoughts through speaking, writing and facial expressions.
- Promoting safe swallowing.
- Providing nutritional support and education.
You may remain in the program for as long as you have skilled therapeutic goals to obtain. When your goals have been met, you will be discharged from the program.
Even though you may have received acute care at another hospital outside of De Smet, you still have the choice of transferring to Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital as a swing bed patient. This allows you to be close to home, family and friends during your rehabilitation, which can help speed your recovery.
Medicare, as well as many private insurance plans, often cover the swing bed program.
For information about swing be care at Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital, contact your physician, call Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital at 605-854-3329.