This course is designed to teach you the lifesaving skills required to be both a team member and a team leader in either an in hospital or out of hospital setting. This course covers extensive material in a short time and you will need to prepare for the course before hand.
Class Cancellation Policy
Class cancellation must be made two weeks prior to the scheduled class. If not received full class fee will be charged.
Please complete prior to class: (print results for instructor to verify)
Print and bring to class:
This course will be taught using the 2011 American Heart Association - Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Provider Manual. Participants are expected to review and study the required textbook prior to the course. Textbooks will not be available to purchase on the day of the course. Textbooks are available for purchase from the following companies:
Channing L Bete Co. Laerdal Medical Corporation
Phone 1-800-611-6083 Phone: 1-888-562-4242
A limited number of The Pediatric Advanced Life Support Provider Manual 2011 may be checked out from Avera Education and Staffing Solutions for ASHH employees at no cost. (4th floor of the Benedictine center)
PCS Avera Sacred Heart Hospital employees should also request the spiral-bound Handbook for Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers from AESS. Please review and bring both of these books with you to class.
You should prepare for the course as follows:
- Read Part 1 – Course Overview (pages 1 – 4) in the Provider Book. This covers everything needed to know to prepare for this class.
- Pre-course Checklist: Complete the pre-course checklist that came with your PALS Course Guide.
- CPR Competency: You will review how to do CPR or how to use an AED during the course. You must know this in advance especially as they relate to the pediatric patient. The resuscitation scenarios require that your BLS skills and knowledge are current.
Complete the PALS Pre-course Self Assessment on the Student Website.
The code is: palsprovider
Use this assessment to identify areas where you need to increase your knowledge.
- PALS algorithms: Be familiar with the PALS algorithms and flowcharts so that you can apply them to clinical scenarios. Note that the PALS course does not present the details of each algorithm.
- Supplement your knowledge: Review and understand the information in the PALS Provider Manual. Pay particular attention to the systematic approach to pediatric assessment, the “assess-categorize-decide-act” model, and the management of respiratory and circulatory abnormalities.
Please feel free to wear casual attire (no beepers, shorts, or tank tops)
Please make the most of this course by arriving well prepared. If you have any questions or need to cancel your registration in this course, please contact me at (605) 668-8475. We look forward to your participation in the PALS Provider Course