Avera Bulletin - September 2012
Avera Transplant Institute Performs 1,000th Transplant
The Avera Transplant Institute is proud to announce that its medical team has performed the 1,000th transplant at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center in Sioux Falls, S.D.
The total number of transplants includes bone marrow, kidney and pancreas transplants. “This is a significant milestone, marking experience and a proven track record in transplant,” said Beth Plahn, administrative director at the Avera Transplant Institute at Avera McKennan.
As the first and leading kidney transplant program in the Dakotas, the Avera Transplant Institute is among only 21 percent of kidney transplant programs to receive a 2010 governmental award for transplant outcomes, for shorter waitlist times than national norms, and survival on the waitlist and after transplant at national norms.
The kidney transplant program was established in 1993. Pancreas transplant was added to the solid organ transplant program in 2003, and is the only such program in South Dakota. The Dakotas’ only bone marrow transplant program was started in 1996. It is fully accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) with three specialty transplant physicians in Sioux Falls.
Avera is currently home to the Dakotas’ only liver disease program. Patients needing liver transplant can obtain many services at Avera McKennan to prepare them for transplant, and follow-up during recovery.
Avera Medical Group Welcomes a New Clinic
Effective Sept. 1, physicians and staff of Dr. Lucio Margallo in Mitchell S.D., became part of Avera Medical Group. The physicians and clinic staff will be associates of Avera Queen of Peace Hospital. There is one noticeable change; Dr. Lucio Margallo’s clinic is now called Avera Medical Group Internal Medicine Delaney Clinic Mitchell to align with the other Avera clinics.
Avera St. Luke’s CareFlight Celebrates 20 Years
Avera St. Luke’s CareFlight celebrated its 20th anniversary with an open house in Aberdeen, S.D., on Monday, Sept.10. The new CareFlight helicopter was blessed and drawing winners received prizes including a flight in the helicopter. When minutes can mean saving a life, having CareFlight at Avera St. Luke’s can make a big difference.
Avera Health Plans Celebrates 14 Years of Service in Aberdeen
Avera Health Plans celebrated its 14th anniversary in Aberdeen with an open house and ribbon cutting at the new office at 6th Avenue and Arch Street in Aberdeen on Sept. 6. Avera Health Plans is excited to be a visible partner in providing affordable health benefit options in Aberdeen according to Debra Muller, Avera Health Plans chief administrative officer.
2012 Avera Quality Congress
Every year Avera recognizes its quality leaders at the annual Avera Quality Congress. This year 96 nominations in 13 categories were submitted, and the following 16 nominees received the awards.
Avera Caring With Excellence Awards
- Wellness Begins With Breastfeeding, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell, S.D.
- Dining With the Dietitian, Avera Heart Hospital, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Improving Dignity for Residents Through Improved Incontinence Products and Protocols, Avera Brady Health and Rehab, Mitchell, S.D.
- eEmergency Chest Pain Project, Avera eCARE™ Services, Sioux Falls, S.D.
Avera Caring With Safety Awards
- Combating Central-Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections Through a Comprehensive Unit Safety Program (CUSP) Creating the Key to Patient Safety, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Expiration-Dating Validation, Avera Dells Area Hospital, Dell Rapids, S.D.
- Have You Been Poked?, Avera Yankton Care Center and Avera Sister James Care Center, Yankton, S.D.
Avera Caring With Collaboration Awards
- Out With the Old and In With the New, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell, S.D.
- Revitalizing the Length-of-Service Program: Avera Employee Rewards, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Certified Nursing Assistant Institute, Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, Yankton, S.D.
- Hutterite Wellness Pilot Project, Avera St. Luke’s Hospital, Aberdeen, S.D.
Avera Caring Spirit Awards
- Kathy English, RN, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Sioux Falls, S.D. - Avera Spirit of Compassion Award
- Dr. Patricia Malters, Avera Medical Group Internal Medicine Mitchell, S.D. - Avera Spirit of Compassion Award
- Dr. James Barker, Avera Medical Group Health Care Clinic Sioux Falls, S.D. - Avera Spirit of Hospitality Award
- Yvonne Lehrke, RN, Avera St. Luke’s Hospital, Aberdeen, S.D. - Avera Spirit of Hospitality Award
- Kim Burg, Avera Weskota Memorial Hospital, Wessington Springs, S.D. - Avera Spirit of Stewardship Award
- Mindy Eddy, RN, is the new director of Occupational Medicine at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital in Mitchell. She has worked as a customer service representative and clinic manager in Occupational Medicine for the past seven years. Prior to that, she worked five years as a nurse on Swing Bed at Avera Queen of Peace and for three years as a long-term-care nurse.
- Clayton Gropper, athletic trainer for Mitchell High School and an employee of Avera Queen of Peace, was named the State Athletic Trainer of the Year for 2011 – 2012 by the South Dakota Athletic Trainers Association at its annual meeting Aug. 6 in Sioux Falls.
- Travis Kampshoff is the new director of Environmental Services at Avera Brady Health and Rehab in Mitchell. Travis has worked at Avera Queen of Peace as a biomed technician for the past two years.
Medical Staff Notes
- Dr. Roger Pabst, optometrist, Avera Medical Group Optometry Redwood Falls, Minn., recently was elected to two offices in professional optometry organizations. He was named board chairperson of the Minnesota Board of Optometry at the organization’s July meeting. Dr. Pabst also has been elected vice president of The Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry.