Assisted Living Week…September 8-14
By Chris Callaghan, Nurse Coordinator, & Linda Folkers, Activities Coordinator Avera Sacred Heart Majestic Bluffs
Many seniors are experiencing some challenges in their activities of daily living. Making a decision to move to an assisted living apartment certainly isn’t an easy decision to make. However, with the help of family, friends and your primary health care provider, those decisions can become doable.
Assisted living provides an opportunity to meet new supportive neighbors who understand the challenge of making lifestyle changes. Informal resident support groups evolve on senior campuses providing listening and socialization.
Everyone arrives with their own unique set of circumstances. Diversity is a key ingredient at the Bluffs. We have welcomed residents from the surrounding area and from throughout the United States. Many residents choose the Bluffs to be closer to their children living in this area, or return to their Yankton roots. Included in our population are retired educators, farmers, business owners, homemakers, the medical profession, accountants and more… each brings to the table their experiences and knowledge.
The advantages to assisted living are:
- Personalized, ‘round the clock health care
- Balanced meals
- Personal assistance with bathing, grooming, dressing and medication
- Peace of mind knowing if the need to transition from independent living to assisted living level of care is needed, the resident is given the opportunity to age in place. Aging in place allows the resident to remain in their current apartment provided the level of care needed can be met.
- Social interaction with others, recreational activities
- Housekeeping, laundry
- Transportation to health care appointments
- Beauty shop
- Wellness center
- Coffee shop
- Outpatient therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy can be provided without leaving the facility.
It’s also important to remember that if you choose the assisted living apartment alternative, you remain independent. You have an enhanced apartment with your own safe bathroom, kitchen, fridge, freezer, microwave, bedroom and living room. If a person is experiencing increased memory loss, a specialized memory unit provides privacy, dignity and individual attention with the same amenities as mentioned earlier.
What “fun” things occur at the Bluffs assisted living?
- Learning and Community Circles
- Fishing/picnicking outings
- Tea parties
- Happy hour
- Wii games
- Senior exercise program including weights, stretch bands, chair and standing range of motion and cognitive exercises
- Card groups
- Sing-along’s/music entertainment
- Residents as volunteers
- Bingo with monthly themed bingo
- Scheduled shopping trips
- Bible study and Bible Sharing
- Daily coffee time
- Nail Care
- Social gatherings with families and residents
- The possibilities are endless.
For more information about Avera Majestic Bluffs Assisted Living, call (605) 668-8928. We will answer your questions, send you an informational packet and give you a personal tour.