Educational Classes and Events
Floyd Valley Hospital strives to improve health care and promote wellness through education for the present and future needs of the community.
To achieve that goal, the Education Department at Floyd Valley Hospital offers a number of learning opportunities for the community, patients, and employees. People seeking information on health topics may contact the Education Department, located in the lower level of the hospital.
Community Education Programs
The Education Department offers classes in:
- American Heart Association CPR (BCLS) Classes
Heartsaver CPR Courses (Provider and Renewal)
Healthcare CPR Courses (Provider and Renewal)
- American Heart Association Standard First Aid
Pediatric First Aid
- Mandatory Reporting (Iowa Department of Public Health)
- Family Planning Classes (FVH Obstetric Department)
- Yoga (Connie Reynolds, Instructor)
- November is American Diabetes Month - Diabetes Fair
Prime Time Programs
Prime Time Coffee
Please call the Prime Time Department at (712) 546-3410 to register.
"Welcome to Medicare" Seminar
- This two-hour seminar offered by the Floyd Valley Hospital SHIIP counselor and will be held Tuesday, September 30 at 6:30 p.m. The seminar will be held at Primebank-Good Neighbors Club room. Registration is required by TBD; please call the Prime Time Department at 712-546-3410 or 1-800-642-6074 ext 410 to register.
AARP Driver Safety Course
- This course will be held on TBD from 12:30 - 4:30 p.m. in Prime Bank's Good Neighbor's Club Room. Cost is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. The instructor will be Marc Christofferson. Please call (712) 546-3410 for more information or to register.
We also have special offerings for the youth including:
Many groups such as preschool and elementary children take tours through our facility to make them more familiar and comfortable with the health care setting. For more information, please contact the Education Department
Professional Education Programs
Floyd Valley Hospital is approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing as a provider of Continuing Education for nurses. A number of CE classes are offered for healthcare personnel on a variety of topics.
Floyd Valley Hospital conducts annual health screenings for the general public which include:
- Cholesterol & Diabetes Screening
- Hearing (May)
- Skin cancer
- Stroke (Monthly)
Floyd Valley Hospital and Northwest Iowa Diagnostics continues to provide Stroke Screenings. The next screening will be offered Tuesday, October 28, 2014 from 12:00 – 2:15 p.m. at Floyd Valley Hospital. Participants are offered three separate screenings at $40.00 each, or sign up for all three for $95.00.
Please call (712) 546-3394 to schedule an appointment.
- Carotid Artery/Stroke Screening: The carotid arteries are the main arteries in the neck that supply blood to the brain. Carotid artery stenosis or narrowing, also called carotid artery disease, is a major risk factor for stroke. This test will screen the carotid arteries for plaque buildup that can cause the carotid arteries to narrow.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening: An abdominal aortic aneurysm is a weak spot and bulge in the major artery in the abdomen, the aorta. Patients often have no symptoms and therefore the aneurysm goes undetected. Aneurysms are dangerous because they may burst. This test screens for an enlargement or aneurysm of the abdominal aortic artery.
- Peripheral Artery Disease/Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) Screening: In peripheral artery disease (PAD), fatty deposits build up along artery walls and affect blood circulation, mainly in arteries leading to the legs and feet. PAD can be a predictor of increased risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease and death. This test will evaluate blood flow to determine if there is sufficient flow from the heart to the arms and legs.
CDC Recommended Screenings
The multi-room Conference Center is the meeting place for many health care seminars and support groups, such as Diabetes and Helping Hearts.
Patient Education Material
Please click below for the most requested patient education brochures.