PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Program
The PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center is designed to prepare pharmacy clinicians for direct patient care and consultative practice positions in the area of critical care medicine with the ability to qualify for clinical faculty or similar appointments.
The Critical Care Residency is a one-year program, which begins July 1st (approximately) each year. Residents will receive a stipend of ~$55,000 with full employee benefits.
- Utilize knowledge and skills to provide patient care at the specialist level for multiple critically ill patient populations.
- Exercise skill in the development of clinical protocols for the treatment of critically ill patients.
- Develop effective teaching techniques in didactic as well as precepting and continuing education settings.
- Refine and further develop clinical research skills.
- Develop leadership skills in pharmacy practice and the profession.
- The program is customized for each resident based on his/her goals, career plans, interests and experiences. Completion of a PGY1 residency is required for program admission.
Application Process for PGY2 Critical Care
Applications for the PGY2 residency are currently being accepted.
Qualifications for candidacy are:
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- Completion of a PGY1 ASHP accredited pharmacy residency program
- Licensure or eligibility for licensure in South Dakota
Interested candidates should:
- Apply through the PhORCAS (pharmacy online residency centralized application service)
- Through PhORCAS, you will need to submit the following required documentation:
- A letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic transcripts (College of Pharmacy/professional years)
- Three letters of recommendation (PhORCAS standard form acceptable)
- Avera McKennan application for employment to be completed post match
For additional information, please contact:
Thomas Johnson, Pharm.D.
Critical Care Residency Program Director
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Department of Pharmacy
1325 S. Cliff Ave.
P.O. Box 5045
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5045
The Critical Care Resident will have primary experience in the Adult Med/Surg ICU setting. Complementary experiences are available in the following areas:
- Infectious Disease
- Solid Organ Transplant
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Emergency medicine
- A research project is also required