Best Choice in Heart Care
One Easy Choice. The Best Place for Your Heart
You want the best for your heart, and so do we. We are a nationally-recognized center for cardiovascular care. The region's first Accredited Chest Pain Center. Exceptional care, cutting edge technology, and a national leader in cardiovascular care. Because it's about advanced technology for better outcomes.
At the Avera Heart Hospital you will find that within all of this clinical knowledge and experience, there's something else that works in your favor: we treat you like family, offering the attention and understanding you would expect from the most trusted name in heart and vascular care.
Because it's about advanced technology for better outcomes. But it's also about advanced care.
It all leads to one simple result: better outcomes for cardiovascular patients.
North Central Heart Institute
Since 1981, North Central Heart Institute has been leading the way in cardiac and vascular medicine. Our experienced and dedicated physicians have been on the forefront of innovative procedures and developments that have helped shape heart and vascular care in the region. North Central Heart Institute is a proud partial owner of the Avera Heart Hospital.
Avera Heart Hospital
As part of the Avera family of care, we’re connected to a health care network made up of over 300 facilities in 87 communities within a five-state area. Avera Heart Hospital is a cooperative venture between Avera McKennan and North Central Heart Institute.
What Patient-Focused Care Means to You
Avera Heart Hospital practices a care model unique to South Dakota called Patient-Focused Care.
It is an entire philosophy of patient care combined with hospital design.
It improves patient safety by focusing on faster and more efficient treatment. The Patient-Focused Care model includes:
- A more consistent nursing staff to promote understanding, bonding and continuity
- Each hospital room is designed for all stages of recovery, so patients will remain in the same room during their stay
- Advanced infection-lowering standards, including fewer staff members in each room and less travel time between departments
The Stats That Set Us Apart
- 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals® Winner 2011 (Thomson Reuters)
- 100 Top Hospitals®: Cardiovascular Winner (Thomson Reuters) - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Accredited Chest Pain Center since 2003
- Top 3% in the nation - Patient Experience
- Top 5% in the nation - Heart Attack Mortality Rate
- 3.5 times better survivability of in-hospital cardiac arrest than national average
* when compared with data from American Heart Association statistics
- Assisted in the placement of over 1000 public access defibrillators in the region
Additional sources: Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
The Milestones That Set North Central Heart Physicians Apart
- Introduced procedures for management of cardiac arrhythmias:
- catheter ablation (1991)
- defibrillators (1994)
- bi-ventricular pacing (2004)
- pulmonary vein isolation for atrial fibrillation (2006)
- First cardiologists in Sioux Falls to be board certified in nuclear cardiology (1999)
- First stent graft procedures for abdominal aortic aneurysms (1999)
- First cardiologists in Sioux Falls to be board certified in interventional cardiology (2000)
- First stent graft procedures for carotid artery disease (2000)
- First dedicated heart hospital opened – Avera Heart Hospital (2001)
- First stent graft procedures for thoracic artery aneurysms (2002)
- First drug-coated coronary stent placed in South Dakota (2004)
- Introduced laser ablation for varicose veins (2004)
- First coronary CT angiogram procedures (2006)
- Introduced cooling protocol to improve outcome in cardiac arrest (2007)
Our Dedication to Research
We are driving the heart care of tomorrow. Avera Heart Hospital and North Central Heart Institute join together to provide quality and excellence in research. Approximately 150 research studies have been conducted in both the hospital and clinic settings. The scope of our research includes:
- Cardiac (drug trials, device trials)
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attacks
- Vascular (drug trials, device trials)
- Lower extremity
- Abdominal aneurysms
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO - opening between upper heart chambers)
- Cardiac Rhythm Management (drug trials, device trials)
- Rhythm disturbances
For information on current research studies call 605-977-7000