A heart healthy pizza that the whole family can enjoy!
Preheat gas grill to 350 or prepare a hot charcoal fire. A charcoal fire is best and gives your pizza a wood fired pizza flavor.
Make your crust in a heavy duty mixer or bread machine from the recipe on the website. Or you can buy the ready made pizza crust in the frozen food section of the grocery store. A thin crust is a must, 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch thick. Personal pan pizza size is best for handling the pizza. Other options for a crust are pita bread or a flour tortilla.
Sauces: The secret is to use a thin layer of sauce. Too much sauce and pizza will be soggy.
- Marinara: Buy ready made or make your own marinara sauce from recipe on the website.
- Pesto: Store bought or make your own from olive oil, fresh basil, and pine nuts.
- Barbeque sauce: Use your favorite BBQ sauce; remember to use just a thin layer.
- Salsa: This base goes well with traditional Mexican toppings
- Flavored olive oil: Simply brush with olive oil, sprinkle coarse salt and add chopped fresh herbs
- Ranch dressing: Great topped with grilled chicken and mozzarella cheese
- Shredded mozzarella or fresh mozzarella
- Feta cheese crumbles or gorgonzola
- Shredded fresh parmesan
Toppings: Use just 2 or 3 toppings; do not overload
- Grilled vegetables, fresh herbs, carmelized onions, roasted garlic
- Portobello mushrooms, fresh peppers, chopped canned tomatoes
- Grilled chicken, lean ground beef or turkey sausage browned off ahead of time
Cooking the pizza:
- If using a charcoal grill, make sure the fire is hot (can hold your hand over the coals for 3-4 seconds at a distance of 5 inches).
- Slide the pizza onto the grill. It may droop a little through the grate but will firm up quickly.
- After 2-3 minutes the crust should firm up, puff slightly and grill marks will appear.
- Remove from heat, flip pizza over onto a plate with “done” side up. Add toppings.
- Return to grill and cook until cheese melts and toppings are heated through (2-10 minutes depending on the size of your pizza and grill temperature).