Know the Signs of a Heart Attack
In the event of a heart attack every second counts. If you experience any of these symptoms it’s best to call 911 immediately. Remember, while some heart attacks are sudden and intense, others only cause mild pain or discomfort. Even if you’re not sure, see a doctor anyway.
Mark It Off Your To-Do List
Heart attack is the No. 1 killer of men and women in the United States. But you can arm yourself with knowledge about your heart health.
Avera Heart Hospital offers Planet Heart and Vascular Screenings.
Call 1-877-AT-AVERA (1-877-282-8372) to make an appointment today.
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest discomfort that lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Shortness of breath, light-headedness, cold sweat, unexplained weakness, or nausea along with chest discomfort
As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But they are more likely to experience other symptoms such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Back or jaw pain
Be Heart Healthy
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of Americans. But it’s never too late to make changes to your lifestyle and improve your health.
Follow these tips to a healthier heart and healthier you:
- Don’t use tobacco. If you or a loved one needs a hand quitting, we can help. Learn to handle a new smoke-free life one day at a time.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Participate in regular physical activity. Just 15-30 minutes of walking daily can benefit your heart.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Choose whole foods that are minimally processed
- Color your plate with fruits and vegetables
- Choose whole-wheat products
- Increase Omega 3 fat intake with flaxseed or fatty fishes like salmon or tuna
- Eat a variety of high-fiber foods such as quinoa, barley, dried beans and peas
- Manage your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Keep stress under control
- Ask for help
For more tips and resources, call the Avera Heart Hospital at 605-977-7000.