Avera Marshall History
A Solid Foundation for Health Care
Constructed with a donation from the Weiner family and a city bond, the 56-bed Louis Weiner Memorial Hospital opened its doors on May 25, 1950. Expansion in 1963 created an attached nursing home. As Marshall grew, ground was broken on a new hospital and doctors clinic complex, and on June 1, 1977, Weiner Memorial Medical Center opened. The name change reflected its combined facilities: the hospital, long-term care facility and the emergency center.
Partnership with Avera Health
In 2004, the medical center formed a partnership with Avera Health to bring more physicians and services to the region. The hospital was renamed Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center, and the nursing home became Avera Morningside Heights Care Center, named after the section of town where the facility is located. In 2004, remodeling created private rooms for all patients at Avera Morningside Heights, as well as a dementia unit.
In January 2009, the Marshall City Council voted in favor of selling the municipal hospital to the Avera system, and the official change in ownership occurred in November 2009.
Avera Marshall Today
With a focus on bringing specialty care to the region, Avera Marshall has recruited several physicians to the community. Doctors specializing in obstetrics-gynecology, orthopedics/sports medicine, general surgery, psychiatry, ophthalmology, emergency medicine and hospital care provide care locally as part of Avera Medical Group. Family practice, pediatrics and internal medicine specialists are also part of the medical staff.