Avera Children’s Hospital
Contact Avera Children’s Hospital
Get specialized care for kids, plus access to full hospital services at Avera Children’s Hospital. Call 605-322-KIDS or 888-315-3666 to learn more.
At Avera Children’s Hospital in Sioux Falls, SD, your family gains access to the same services you’d find at a freestanding children’s hospital, plus all services of Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center in one convenient location, for example, surgery, laboratory, radiology and imaging, emergency services and more.
With 110+ beds devoted solely to the care of infants, children and adolescents, Avera Children’s includes our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), pediatric intensive care unit, and the region and city’s only specialized child and adolescent units at the Avera Behavioral Health Center.
Family-Centered Hospital Environment
Benefit from Avera Children’s Hospital’s colorful, kid-friendly and family-centered environment. Parents and siblings are welcome to visit 24 hours a day, so you can be there for your child at any time. Your little one will also appreciate Avera Children’s:
- Child-friendly meals
- Family-friendly movies
- Playroom with toys and games
- Prize from our “treasure chest” at the end of a hospital stay
- Snacks available 24/7
Make life easier during your child’s hospital stay by taking advantage of:
- Baby Cam videophones in your home and hospital room allow you to visit virtually 24/7
- Computers and Wi-Fi
- Laundry facilities
- Pull-out couches with space to sleep in your child’s room
Child Life Specialists
Ensure that life remains as normal as possible while your child is hospitalized by working with an Avera child life specialist. These child development experts promote effective coping through play, self-expression activities, and age-appropriate medical preparation and education.
Trust our compassionate, friendly team to:
- Advocate for family-centered care
- Coordinate pet therapy
- Ease a child’s fear and anxiety with therapeutic and recreational play activities
- Encourage understanding and cooperation by providing non-medical preparation
- Engage and energize children and families by coordinating entertainment and special events for birthdays and holidays
- Provide age-appropriate activities in playrooms and at the hospital bedside to make your child’s experience more enjoyable
- Provide bereavement support, when necessary
- Provide support and distraction for children undergoing tests, surgeries and other medical procedures
- Supervise and train child life students and volunteers
- Use dolls, simple medical equipment, books, games and the help of siblings or peers to teach children about an illness or injury
Call 605-322-3629 to speak with one of our specialists.
Parental Presence for Induction Program
If you and your child meet the Parental Presence for Induction (PPI) standard guidelines, you may be able to accompany your child and a child life specialist through the initial stages of anesthesia.
Learn more about children’s health services at Avera, and how to prepare for your child’s hospital visit.
Family Life Education
Our family life educators know a lot about kids. They can provide insight and information about the typical, but sometimes baffling, behaviors and stages of children.
To guide you throughout the early years of parenthood, we have created several educational resources. View them for quick tips, but always seek the personal advice of your family physician. Call 605-322-3660 for additional information.
As a new parent, you have so many things on your mind. There's a lot to think about when you have a new child in the family: feedings, play, safety, health and more.
Discover newsletters for every stage of your child's development. Each features helpful tips and fun ways to aid your child's development in these early years of life.
Newsletters are provided through Avera's partnership with the Sioux Empire United Way.
Nine traits define your child’s temperament and approach to life, making him or her as unique as a snowflake. Understanding those traits can help you match the parenting techniques that will work best with your child. The Temperament Project, a free, confidential program designed to help you learn more about your child’s unique temperament, is made possible by the Sioux Empire United Way and Avera McKennan.
If your baby was born at Avera McKennan, you’ll receive an invitation to participate when your baby is about nine months old. Complete the questionnaire and you’ll receive a confidential temperament profile, a graph that represents your child’s temperament and helpful information to guide you.
A temperament profile can be done at any age or even more than once if you notice temperament changes in your child as he or she gets older. Call 605-322-3660 to request a questionnaire or personalized consultation.