Avera Marshall History
A Solid Foundation for Health Care
The first settlers in the territory came in 1869. Only one year later, Marshall employed its first physician and druggist. In the following years, Marshall saw four more doctors, and three separate hospitals, two of which are once again private homes in Marshall.
Constructed with a donation from the Weiner family and a city bond, the 56-bed Louis Weiner Memorial Hospital opened its doors on May 25, 1950. Expansion in 1963 created an attached nursing home. As Marshall grew and prospered, ground was broken for construction of a new hospital and doctors clinic complex, and on June 1, 1977, Weiner Memorial Medical Center opened. The name change reflected its combined facilities: the hospital, the long term care facility and the emergency care center. HomeCare services were added in 1986. HomeCare, Medical Equipment for the Home, and CareerGear Uniforms were moved off the hospital campus to a Main Street location in 1998 and relocated to East College Drive in 2003.
Partnership with Avera Health
In 2004, the medical center formed a partnership with Avera Health to bring more physicians and services to the region. To reflect this partnership, the facility was renamed Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center. The hospital retained the name Avera Louis Weiner Memorial Hospital. Home Health Services was renamed Avera Marshall Home Health Services. And the nursing home became Avera Morningside Heights Care Center. When the city was platted, the section of town where the hospital and nursing home were eventually built was referred to as Morningside Heights. The words "Care Center" better reflect the type of care that is provided, which includes short stays and extended stays as well as serving both younger clientele and the elderly. Avera Morningside Heights Care Center underwent remodeling to create private rooms for all residents, as well as a dementia unit, with residents moving into the new areas in the fall of 2004.
In January 2009, the Marshall City Council voted in favor of selling the municipal hospital to the Avera system, and the official change in ownership occurred in November 1, 2009.
Today, Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center is a 25-bed full service hospital, a 76-bed skilled nursing long term care facility, an emergency care center, specialty clinics and imaging center.
With a focus on bringing specialty care to the region, Avera Marshall has recruited several physicians to the community. Doctors specializing in obstetrics-gynecology, orthopedics/sports medicine, general surgery, psychiatry, ophthalmology, emergency medicine and hospital care provide care locally as part of the Avera Medical Group. Family practice, pediatrics and internal medicine specialists are also part of the medical staff.
A 13-member board of directors makes policy decisions concerning the medical center.