Not sure when and how often you should check for cancer?
This easy-to-read diagram shows when the average man or woman should schedule a screening for cervical, breast, prostate, lung and/or colorectal cancers.
Avera Cancer Institute Marshall
300 S. Bruce St.
Marshall, MN 56258
Avera Cancer Institute Marshall
Expert Cancer Services, Right Here at Home
The Avera Cancer Institute Marshall is bringing access to cancer care closer than ever before. As part of the Avera Cancer Institute network, we have local access to the latest technology and clinical expertise to ensure the highest level of care. Our new center includes radiation therapy and enhanced chemotherapy services to help reduce travel time for our patients and their families.
- Radiation therapy
- Palliative radiation therapy
- Patient navigation
- Genetic counseling
- Clinical trials
- Nutrition counseling
- Support groups
- Look Good Feel Better program
- Surgical care
- Diagnostic imaging services
Types of Cancer
Read about symptoms, diagnosis process and treatment methods for various types of cancer.
Radiation Therapy, Chemotherapy
Radiation therapy uses ionizing radiation to kill cancer cells or prevent their spread. The team of experts at Avera Cancer Institute Marshall delivers external beam radiation therapy tailored to each patient’s needs.
Radiation therapy services include:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), in which very small beams are aimed at the tumor from many angles. Each beamlet is controlled to bend around healthy tissue. Fiducial markers placed to track the exact location of the tumor allow for more precise targeting.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) with cone beam CT image guidance, in which physicians use image guidance technology to provide precise information on the specific location of the tumor area. With exact targeting, a smaller radiation field can be used, with less effect to healthy surrounding tissue.
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT), using single or multiple radiation beams to sweep in uninterrupted arcs around the patient, reducing treatment time compared to conventional radiation treatment. This therapy also gives the radiation oncologist more control and flexibility in targeting radiation dose to the tumor.
- Conformal radiation therapy using computers and specialized imaging techniques to define the size and shape of the tumor. Special leaves in the linear accelerator configure the radiation beam to precisely target the tumor.
- Treatment planning with CT-based 3D imaging and PET/CT fusion
Chemotherapy & Infusion
Chemotherapy uses medication to destroy cancer cells. It can be given as an injection or orally, but is most commonly given intravenously. Staff in the infusion center are skilled and experienced in administering chemotherapy.
Learn more about chemotherapy and side effects.
The Care Team
The team at Avera Cancer Institute Marshall includes professionals with education, skills and experience. Our board-certified physicians are supported by highly trained nurses, radiation therapists, medical physicists and dosimetrists, working together to develop individualized treatment plans. As part of Avera Medical Group, providers collaborate across the full range of medical specialties to provide patients with a seamless continuum of care, compassionate service and the best possible cancer outcomes.