About Your Mammogram at Avera Marshall Imaging Center
Before your Test:
- Try to schedule your appointment for the week after your period, usually when your breasts are the least tender
- On the morning of your test, make sure to wash your underarms and breasts. Do not use deodorant, lotion or powders.
- Arrive 10 minutes early to check in at the Business Office
- Wear two pieces with a top that you can easily remove
- You will be asked to change into a gown for the exam
Tell your Technologist if:
- You have any history of breast cancer in your family
- You are PREGNANT or could be pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding or stopped within the last 3 months
- You have any scars or moles on or near your breasts
- You have ever had a breast biopsy or breast surgery
- You have breast implants
During your Test:
- The technologist will position your breast comfortably on the platform.
- When your breast is in the correct position it will slowly be compressed to provide the sharpest image possible.
- You will have to stand still for a few seconds while the x-ray is being taken.
After your Test:
- You will be allowed to go back to your normal daily activities.
- The x-rays will be read by a radiologist, and the results will be sent to you and to your doctor.
- You will be notified of the results in writing. If you have any questions, you can go over them with your doctor at your next appointment or call our Imaging department for clarification.
- If you need additional imaging, you will receive a phone call to schedule an exam.
For more information, call the Avera Marshall Imaging Center at 1-877-537-9189.