About Your Ultrasound at Avera Marshall Imaging Center
Before your Test
- You should wear loose-fitting two-piece clothing
- You may be asked to change into a hospital gown
- Arrive 10 minutes early to check in at the Business Office
- Please follow your prep instructions carefully
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours before your ultrasound (after midnight) if you are having an ultrasound on your abdominal area, your aorta, or if instructed to do so
- Drink 12 ounces of water 30 minutes before your exam if you are having your kidneys imaged or if instructed to do so
- Drink 32 ounces of water 1 hour before your exam if you are having a prenatal ultrasound, a pelvic ultrasound, or if instructed to do so
Tell your Sonographer if:
- You have had surgeries on the area being scanned
- You have had any previous ultrasounds of the area in question
During your Test:
- You will be laying on a soft exam table
- Some warm gel will be applied to the area of interest to conduct sound waves between the skin and the transducer
- The sonographer will press the transducer on the area of interest then sweep it back and forth.
- You may be asked to take a deep breath or even to hold your breath during the exam
- The test will take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour
After your Test:
- The gel will be wiped from your skin
- You can go about your normal daily activities
- Ultrasound exams are sent to a specialized radiologist for interpretation. The technologist will not be able to discuss results with you.
- Your test results will be sent to your doctor and he or shee will discuss them with you over the phone or at a follow-up appointment
For more information, contact the Avera Marshall Imaging Center at 1-877-537-9189.