Avera McKennan - Look No Further
Watch the Avera McKennan annual report video.
Download a printable version of the 'Look No Further' brochure
- Recognized by HealthGrades in 2012 as the Best in South Dakota in Orthopedic Joint Replacement, Neuroscience (stroke care and neurosurgery, Gastrointestinal Medical Treatment and Critical Care.
- Top 10% in the Nation for GI Medical Treatment and Joint Replacement
- 5-Star Ratings in Joint Replacement, Stroke Care, GI care and Critical Care
- 2011 recipient of the Premier QUEST® Award for High Value Healthcare–Honorable Mention
- Magnet® Recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center since 2001
- Outstanding Achievement Award in 2009, awarded by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award in 2011 through the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® program
- Bronze Award for high performance in organ transplant in 2010 from the federal Health Resources and Services Administration Donation and Transplantation Community of Practice’s Transplant Center Task Force
- Five-Star Community Value Provider in the nation’s top 20 percent for providing excellent health care value in 2011 by Cleverley + Associates
- One of the Top 10 Trailblazing Hospitals in the nation as named by FierceHealthcare, recognizing quality and innovation
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center - an integrated system of care
- 545-bed tertiary hospital
- 13 regional hospitals
- Comprehensive network of 58 specialty and 27 primary care clinics
- Convenience clinic in local Hy-Vee
- Retirement housing, assisted living, long-term care and hospice
- Nationally recognized for excellence in:
- Behavioral Health
- Cancer treatment
- Emergency, trauma and critical care
- Pediatrics and neonatal intensive care
- Solid organ and bone marrow transplant
- Stroke care and neuroscience
- Women’s health care
Also within our network…
- The 55-bed Avera Heart Hospital of South Dakota
- The 110-bed Avera Behavioral Health Center
- Avera Children’s Hospital & Clinics, a "hospital within a hospital" on the main campus
Avera by the numbers
- Nearly 14,000 physicians and employees
- 300 locations
- 100 communities
- 5 states
- 1,500 physicians in the Avera Network
- 600 physicians at Avera McKennan
- 60+ medical specialties
- $2.5 billion Avera gross revenues and assets
- 2.5 million clinic, outpatient and inpatient visits per year, a number equal to more than twice the population of the Avera service area.
World class expertise
- Avera Medical Group is an integrated physicians’ network providing connectedness and seamless referral to specialists throughout the Avera system
- More than 600 physicians in more than 60 distinct medical specialties
- Region’s only team devoted to breast surgery
- Women’s care specialists in perinatology, gynecologic oncology, urogynecology, nurse midwifery and midlife care
- The region’s largest neuroscience specialty team
- Region’s only specialists in liver disease and surgery
- Area’s most experienced team of transplant specialists in bone marrow, kidney and pancreas transplant, having performed nearly 1,000 transplants
- Over 40 pediatric specialists in 20 specialty areas, including pediatric intensive care and neonatology
- Board-certified, residency trained emergency physicians on site 24 hours a day
- Largest team of behavioral health specialists in the region
- Nation’s most advanced use of e-services in a rural setting, including Avera eICU® CARE, eEmergency, eConsult, eStroke, ePharmacy and ePrescribing
- Advanced surgical techniques, including robotic surgery, IntraOperative Electron Radiation Therapy (IOeRT), image-guided brain surgery, and scarless surgical techniques
- State-of-the-art imaging, including 3 Tesla MRI, BSGI, PET/CT, digital mammography and 3-D and 4-D ultrasound
- The newest neurological diagnostic tools, including a balance center and Autonomic Testing Lab
Quality care, right here at home
- Local and regional network of primary care clinics. Avera Medical Group McGreevy has seven Sioux Falls locations with five additional locations in neighboring towns and two Urgent Care locations
- Specialty outreach services in transplant, cardiology, pediatric specialties, dermatology, nephrology, neurology, oncology and rehabilitation
- 24-hour Medical Call Center and Ask-A-Nurse service – 1-877-AT-AVERA
A system of strength
- Avera McKennan is a member of the Avera Health system, comprised of more than 300 locations including hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, retirement communities, home medical equipment outlets and research centers
- The Avera Breast Center is the first breast program in South Dakota to receive accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- Avera McKennan’s laboratory is the first hospital lab in the United States to hold ISO 15189SM accreditation from the College of American Pathologists for excellent processes, resulting in higher test accuracy and faster turnaround time
- American College of Surgeons Verified Level II Trauma Center designation, one of three in South Dakota
- Avera McKennan’s Stroke Center has attained advanced certification by the Joint Commission and is recognized by the American Stroke Association/American Heart Association for success in implementing excellent care for stroke patients, according to evidence-based guidelines
- Avera McKennan’s Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit have outstanding outcomes and indicators compared to national benchmarks.
- Specialized certification and accreditation for rehabilitation and Careflight medical air transport.
- The Avera Heart Hospital of South Dakota is the region’s first Nationally Accredited Chest Pain Center, and is one of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals as named by Thomson Reuters
- Avera McKennan is a Level 1B Accredited Bariatric Center as named by the American College of Surgeons
- The Avera Cancer Institute offers state-of-the-art, comprehensive cancer services in an unmatched healing environment.
- The Avera Transplant Institute is home to the region’s only bone marrow and pancreas transplant programs, and longest-standing kidney transplant program. Since 1993, the program has performed nearly 1,000 transplants.
- The Avera Behavioral Health Center is the largest private psychiatric inpatient care facility in the region, and the only local provider of inpatient behavioral health care.
- The Avera Neuroscience Institute is the region’s foremost provider of diagnostic, evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation and education services for patients with injuries or disorders of the brain, spine and nervous system.
- Avera McKennan’s orthopedics program offers advanced surgical, interventional and treatment procedures including joint replacement, sports medicine, arthritis care and physical therapy.
- The Avera Sports Institute is the Midwest’s finest and most comprehensive environment for athletes, featuring advanced training programs and exceptional indoor playing facilities.
- The Avera Research Institute is involved in all aspects of medical research, adding to the body of scientific knowledge and making available new, cutting-edge treatments for patients.
Our Mission of Health Ministry
- Sponsored by the Presentation and Benedictine Sisters, a strong sense of mission is foundational to Avera McKennan. Our health ministry impacts lives locally and regionally, as we provide high quality, compassionate care to everyone who comes to our doors.
- Avera McKennan provides a free Health Care Clinic for uninsured and underinsured people; visits total more than 8,000 annually.
- Avera McKennan also sponsors and supports numerous community projects which work in concert with our mission, such as Sioux Falls Catholic Schools, Face It TOGETHER Sioux Falls, The Banquet, Good Shepherd Center, McCrossan Boys Ranch, St. Francis House, and Ronald McDonald House® Charities, just to name a few.
- Our mission also extends internationally. For the past three decades, the Avera Haiti Project has sent volunteers and supported a clinic in Jeremie, Haiti. In cooperation with Los Cabos Children’s Foundation, Avera McKennan serves children with serious illnesses from Los Cabos, Mexico.
New and Expanded Services 2012
- Expanded access to primary care through three new Avera Medical Group McGreevy locations
- Pediatrics clinic on West 69th Street – Avera Medical Group McGreevy Pediatrics South
- Multidisciplinary case review conferences for lung, breast and gastrointestinal cancer
- Avera Digestive Disease Institute brings all aspects of care together in a cohesive program for patients diagnosed with cancer and other complex diseases of the digestive tract
- Avera Medical Group Ophthalmology
- Partnership with CORE Orthopedics Avera Medical Group
- New free-standing same-day surgery center, the Avera Surgery Center, offering 5-star service and amenities with state-of-the-art technology for the best possible patient experience
- Comprehensive breast health center, the Avera Breast Center, brings together all aspects of breast care including prevention, early detection and diagnosis of breast cancer, as well as all treatment modes, follow-up and survivorship care
- Participation in an international research trial of IntraOperative Electron Radiation Therapy (IOeRT) in the treatment of breast cancer – one of only 13 sites in the nation to have IOeRT and one of only three sites in the United States participating in the research trial
- Avera Concussion Management Program provides diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care for athletes who sustain a concussion
- A second daVinci® surgical robotics system expands the use of this state-of-the-art minimally invasive technology for procedures such as hysterectomy, prostatectomy, gynecologic surgery and more
- Radiology services, including 21 providers with Avera Medical Group Radiology Sioux Falls; the Avera PET-CT Center; and the Avera Veradia Vein Center
Download a printable version of the 'Look No Further' brochure
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center
1325 S Cliff Avenue
P.O. Box 5045
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5045
Contact Us Online