Job Shadow Program
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center offers a job shadow program for individuals interested in a specific area in the health care field.
Job Shadow Program General Requirements
You may apply for this experience if you:
- Are in or around the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area
- Need to shadow one time only for 2 to 4 hours
- Want a beginning look at the health care field
- Have been referred to our program by a career counselor or other adviser
- Are 16 years old or older
- Have documentation of a current flu shot
Steps to Apply
Follow These Steps to Apply
Below is a list of the steps that will need to take place to complete the Job Shadow process. You can print off the checklist to guide you in completing all steps of the application process.
- Review materials on:
- Print and complete the set of job shadow application documents.
- Mail or hand deliver your job shadow application documents:
- Mail to: Organizational Development, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center
PO Box 5045, Sioux Falls, SD 57117.
- Our location: Avera Education Center, 810 E 23rd St, Sioux Falls, SD.
Someone from Organizational Development will contact you within seven days to confirm receipt of your application and job shadow location, time, and date. The job shadow will occur within approximately 21 business days of receiving your application. This is based on the number of applications received.
If you have questions or need to check the status of your application, contact Organizational Development at 605-322-8950.
The Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center job shadow experience will provide individuals the opportunity to follow a health care professional as they perform their daily duties.
A job shadow is a one-time experience to observe a health care professional one-on-one in the hospital setting. You get this one time to observe, ask questions, and see what it’s really like to work in health care.
Participants learn real-world application and gain experience interacting in the hospital setting, as well as the opportunity to speak with health care professionals as they explore career options.
We hope you will discover exciting careers available in health care, and choose to make a difference by becoming health care professionals.