All shadow students are held to the following expectations during their time at the hospital:
- Check in 15 minutes early at the Volunteer Desk in the front lobby of the hospital to finalize the application process.
- Come dressed appropriately, according to the outlined dress code on the Dress and Participation Standards form.
- Bring any forms or materials from your school or program, if applicable.
- Bring questions to discuss with the health care professional you will job shadow.
- Do not carry a cell phone or other personal electronic device during your job shadow as they are disruptive to medical equipment.
- At no time will you perform direct patient care (clinical skills).
- Use proper infection control procedures and perform hand hygiene while in the hospital.
- It is due to our staff and patients that you have this opportunity to job shadow – give them the respect they deserve.
- Ask questions at appropriate times during your job shadow.
- The staff person you job shadow with is your supervisor while you are at the hospital – report to them in all cases.
- Patients have the right to not have an observer in their room – respect this right and stay flexible if a patient is uncomfortable having you observe with them.
- Always respect and maintain patient confidentiality, both during your job shadow and after you leave the hospital.
- Contact Education Services @ 605-322-8950 prior to your scheduled time if you are not able to attend.
Refer to the Dress and Participation Standards Form for more information and guidelines.
The Education Services staff is here to support you through this process. Do not hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of any part of your job shadow experience at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center.