Sample Shadow Questions
Here are some sample questions you can ask during a job shadow experience at the hospital. These are meant to get you started with some ideas. You are not expected to ask all of these questions during your shadow. We encourage you to bring any other questions with you that will help you in your own career exploration.
- What do you do on a typical day?
- What are your responsibilities while you are at work?
- What training and/or education are required for your job?
- Is any type of prior work experience recommended?
- What work experiences did you have before you entered this occupation?
- Which of these have been most helpful?
- Why did you decide on this career? What led you to this profession?
- What is the best way to enter this occupation?
- What other jobs can you get with this same background?
- What is it like to work at your company?
- What do you like most about your job? Least?
- Do you expect to be doing this kind of work in five years?
- What are the biggest challenges you face in your job?
- What is the future outlook for careers in this area?
- Has your profession changed since you started working? If so, in what ways?
- What would you suggest I do if I want to pursue this career?
- What qualities are important for a person to possess if they are going to enter your field?