Social Work Services at Avera McKennan
Social workers are a part of the multi-disciplinary team that provides comprehensive medical care. Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center offers the skills of social workers who work with inpatients to assist with their needs.
Walsh Family Village - Housing for Patient Families
The Walsh Family Village is a place to stay for families of patients receiving treatment at Avera McKennan. Learn more about the Walsh Family Village.
How Social Workers Help
Our licensed social workers work across medical disciplines to:
- Advocate for patient and families
- Provide information on community resources
- Counsel patients and families to assist them with emotional and psychological distress
- Provide education about and assist in the completion of advanced directives
- Arrange for post-hospital placements and services
- Address issues of family violence and abuse
- Provide financial counseling to patients
As a member of the health care team, social workers focus on assisting patients and families with the stresses associated with illnesses and their impact on everyday life.
Contact a Social Worker
If you would like to speak with a social worker, please call the Social Services Department at 605-322-8400.