Pheresis Donor Program
Every 3 seconds someone needs blood products, yet less than 5% of the population donates. That isn't enough. The purpose of this program is to provide a steady supply of single donor platelets and red cell products for Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center patients.
Advantages of Pheresis Donations
- 1 single donor platelet product is equivalent to 6-10 random donor pooled platelet products
- A pheresis donor can provide up to 3 single donor platelet products at each donation (provided platelet count is adequate). A multi product donation only needs to be tested once thus becoming more cost effective (up to 3 products with just 1 testing).
- Single donor platelets offer a reduced chance of allo-immunization, reduced chance of product bacterial contamination and a reduced exposure to infectious agents.
- During a pheresis donation, multiple products can be obtained such as:
- single or double pheresis red cell product PLUS single or double single donor platelet product
- single red cell product, single platelet and single plasma
- triple platelet product
- Single donor platelets are a safer product for cancer patients and those with compromised immune systems such as transplant patients, etc.
Requirements for Donation
Requirements for Apheresis donations are very similar to whole blood requirements with the addition of the following:
- Eat well and drink plenty of fluids (minimize caffeine intake before).
- Increase calcium intake a few days before donation.
- NO aspirin 72 hours prior; NO Ibuprofen 24 hours prior.
- Allow 1.5 hours for the procedure. Pop, juice, cookies and TV provided during donation time.
- Please remember to bring your driver's license or donor card every donation.