Elekta Versa HD
Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SRS/SBRT) using the Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator is a powerful tool in the fight against cancer, now available at Avera. SRS/SBRT is radiation therapy that targets tumors with precise beams of high-dose radiation.
"Traditional radiation delivers a lower dose of radiation in a larger field. This technology delivers a high dose with high precision from hundreds of different angles which all converge on the single spot of a small tumor. It is so precise, it is referred to as radiosurgery," said Dr. James Simon, Radiation Oncologist.
- Reduces the treatment course – only one to five fractions as opposed to 25 or more treatments
- Reduces the treatment delivery time – treatments that once took hours to deliver will now take just a few minutes
- Makes effective treatment a real possibility for patients with inoperable tumors or who are not surgical candidates
- Noninvasive – yet as precise as surgery
- No pain
- No incision
- No anesthesia or recovery time
- Few side effects
- Immediate return to normal activities
- Appropriate for a wide variety of diagnoses – brain, spine, lung, liver, pancreas, kidney and prostate cancers