Pregnancy and Childbirth Services
Pregnancy can be a very exciting and unique experience, one that we love to share with you. Our mission at Platte Health Center Avera is to provide quality care during prenatal visits, labor and delivery, and postpartum care. We have caring physicians and physician assistants that provide prenatal care that is personal, comprehensive and close to home.
Our primary goal is to provide an optimal and supportive environment so you may experience a safe, personal and satisfying childbirth.
Our team has the experience you want. Our Physicians have over 30 years experience in obstetrics. Along with our physicians we have a core group of nurses who are cross-trained and qualified to help you during and after labor, as well as care for your baby. Our RNs are also certified in the AHA and AAP’s Neonatal Resuscitation Program and in the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses’ fetal heart monitoring program.
With our addition of Dr. Hagge to our medical staff, we have tripled our baby delivery in 2010.
We are pleased to offer a wide range of maternity services.
- Let us be the first to say Congratulations! Your initial Obstetrical Visit will take about an hour. Our experienced nurses will complete a health history and a pregnancy profile.
- At your initial visit, usually around 12 weeks, you will be given a complete exam which will include a pap smear, pelvic exam and prenatal labs will be drawn.
- We now offer Electronic Ultrasound for our OB patients. This is done at 20 weeks. With eUltrasound, we are able to scan you here, while the Perinatologist in Sioux Falls is watching us scan. The physician will talk to to you and the technologist while the procedure is going on.
- The OB and Surgical departments have added Cesarean Sections when vaginal delivery is not possible or when there is concern for the well-being of you or your baby.
- We offer pain management for you through epidural and intrathecals by Certified Nurse Anesthetists.
- Educational classed are offered that cover labor and delivery, pain management, cesarean sections, breastfeeding, and infant care. Let us help you prepare for your new bundle of joy.
- We have lactation counselors to help you learn the process of breastfeeding and guide you through the joys of motherhood.
Labor and Delivery
Our Labor and Delivery and the Postpartum Suites provide home-like comfortable atmosphere for our patients and their families as they experience the miracle of child birth. The rooms are conveniently located close to the nurse’s station but yet are private from the other patient rooms.
There are fold out chairs so that your loved one can spend the night in comfort as well as a whirlpool tub and private showers for the new moms.
Childbirth is believed to be a natural life experience and an important social event essential to family growth and development and basic to our way of life.
Having a baby is the beginning of a family, and we can help play an important role when becoming a parent.