Meet Worksite Nurse, Peggy.
Peggy was raised on a farm near Turton, SD. Becoming a nurse was always a dream and she practiced her early nursing skills on sick kittens, calves, and family members.
After high school, she attended St. John’s School of Nursing, receiving a 3-year nursing diploma. Peggy received a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Huron University and a Master’s Degree in Nursing Education from Walden University. She is a board-certified diabetes educator through the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
Peggy brings a vast, diverse nursing background to occupational medicine with previous experience in medical-surgical nursing, dialysis, OB, ICU, clinic nursing, oncology, home health and hospice, education/pastoral care coordination and public health preparedness and response with the South Dakota Department of Health.
Being a worksite nurse has given her a new appreciation for fine footwear and accessories as she proudly wears her steel-toed shoes, earplugs, safety glasses, and even a hairnet most days.
Peggy provides on-site nursing care to employees, performs OSHA mandated testing, new-hire orientation on back safety, ergonomics, and general safety in the workplace, and many “other duties as assigned!” Through the provision of services to clients within Avera Occupational Medicine Mitchell she is able to share her professional nursing expertise and work with employees on a one-to-one basis to support them through their injury while teaching them how to prevent further injuries by using ergonomics and good body mechanics.
Peggy and her husband have two sons. Both are married and have presented her with six grandchildren. She enjoys spoiling her family, cooking and entertaining family and friends, traveling, reading, shopping, and the canine-companionship of her two Golden Retrievers.
Peggy's spotlight responses...
What is your favorite food?
• Scallops and most any kind of seafood
What keeps you going during the day?
• Sheer determination and a little caffeine here and there!
• Reading, shopping, travel adventures, and decorating
If you could have any pet, what would it be?
• Dogs—I have 2 Golden Retrievers. I am not a cat person at all.
What would be your dream vacation?
• Any vacation is awesome, but going to Ireland would be my dream
M&M’s or Skittles?
• M&M’s who doesn’t need and love chocolate?
You are leaving the airport and there is a taxi and a limo both at the same price. Which do you choose?
• The limo naturally.
Would you rather sleep in an extra hour or watch the news in the morning?
• I like sleep--the news channel is always available 24 hours a day!
Who drinks the most caffine in the office?
• Sherry, but she is trying to do better!
Who has the worst music taste in the office?
• I think Annie wins that prize.
Muffins or pancakes?
What do you do on Saturdays?
• Anything I want to do!!! My favorite is wearing my pajamas until noon and staying home!!
Describe yourself in 3 words.
• Professional, caring, and zany sense of humor. (Sorry more than 3 words!)
• Top Gun and Pretty Woman (It is amazing what a good looking guy with a plane or a lot of money can do for a lady!!!)
What do you like best about working for Avera Occupational Medicine Mitchell?
• I love my job and feel very proud to be part of the Avera Occupational Medicine Mitchell team. Team members have a wide variety of professional expertise and we provide care and services that are second to none. The job is always challenging and you never know what you might end up doing during a “normal” day at work. A sense of humor really carries you through on those days that are not so normal!!!