Temporary Housing for Patients & Caregivers
600 E 6th Avenue
Mitchell, SD 57301
The Avera Queen of Peace Hospitality House offers temporary housing with a comfortable, home-like atmosphere for patients and caregivers. Located near the Avera Queen of Peace Cancer Center and the hospital, the Hospitality House allows individuals to stay in Mitchell and receive the care they need, without the worry and burden of traveling.
The facility is especially intended to help patients who are receiving cancer treatment. However, it is also available for those who are scheduled for same-day surgery, women experiencing pre-term labor, patients using other ongoing hospital services and the families/caregivers of patients and residents.
The mission of the Avera Queen of Peace Hospitality House is to provide temporary lodging as part of a healing ministry for outpatients receiving treatment at Avera Queen of Peace and their families/caregivers.
Every day and in all kinds of weather, people travel to Mitchell and Avera Queen of Peace for cancer treatments, medical treatments, surgery and to visit and support their loved ones who are receiving medical care. In particular, the Avera Queen of Peace Cancer Center serves a vast area and convenient lodging is essential for these individuals. At the Hospitality House, we provide not only a comfortable place to stay, but also a supportive, caring environment. The Hospitality House staff and volunteers help create a home-away-from-home for those in need of support, comfort and rest.
Policies and Procedures
Purpose: To provide guidelines for operation of the Hospitality House and to offer assistance to the staff and volunteers of the Hospitality House in performance of their duties
Referring or Directing Guests to the Hospitality House and a Priority List of Eligible Guests:
Purpose: To assure appropriate and timely referral and directing of guests to the Hospitality House.
- The Hospitality House is designed to meet the overnight accommodation needs for Avera Queen of Peace patients and caregivers. Guests must be physically able to care for themselves. No nursing care will be provided. Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times. The House is supervised 24 hours a day.
- To stay at the Hospitality House, guests must be referred or directed by personnel at one of the following: Avera Queen of Peace Cancer Center, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Avera Brady Health and Rehab and Avera Brady Assisted Living, as well as physicians and their office personnel and other community referral sources.
- A blue Hospitality House Referral Form must be completed for all individuals who are referred or directed to the House, including the patient, family member, or caregiver; guests are to present the form when registering at the House.
- Please ask the potential guest to review the information on the back of the referral form; the answers for many typical questions are listed there. Directions for finding the House and a map are also on the back of the referral form.
- Those making referrals or directing individuals to the Hospitality House are to call the House at 996-8291 to make sure rooms are available before referring guests and to ensure that the Resident Assistant or a volunteer is present. The person referring or directing is to make the call rather than the patient or family member. If reservation information is needed after 5:00 p.m., when no one is tending the phone at the House or if a family member must be reached at the House, please use the call list below. Guests will be registered on a first come, first served basis according to the priority room assignment listed below. Unless previous special arrangements have been made, check-in times are as follows:
Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: After 6:00 p.m.
11:00 a.m. on the day of departure. The Hospitality House is closed from 5:00 p.m. Friday afternoon until 6:00 p.m. on Sunday and is also closed on holidays.
Priority Room Assignment
- Patients receiving cancer treatment or therapy
- Patients scheduled for morning outpatient or inpatient surgery
- Families of hospital Intensive Care Unit patients
- Families of inpatients on other hospital units
- Patients receiving outpatient treatment or therapies
- Families of patients/residents at Avera Brady Health and Rehab
- Families of residents at Avera Brady Assisted Living