Welcome to the Avera Cancer Institute Yankton
Providing Care, Hope and Healing
We offer prevention, diagnosis and treatment backed by a strong support system—all in a warm, caring environment. The Avera Cancer Institute Yankton team works with healthcare professionals throughout the region to bring you the best cancer care possible, right here at home.
Our cancer program is accredited by the American College of Surgeon's Commission on Cancer. Only one in four hospitals that treat cancer receives this special approval.
2013-2014 Annual Report
Download the Avera Cancer Institute Yankton Annual Report
We are proud of our Avera Cancer Institute Yankton Team
- Physician, Board-certified Radiation Oncologist
- Oncology-Certified Nurse and Staff
- Radiation Therapists
- Registered Dietitian
- Social worker
- Pastoral Care
- Family & friends
Prevention and Education Programs
- Community screening programs including prostate cancer screening
- Participation at community health education programs and health fairs including the fall Breast Cancer Forum.
- Cancer prevention research trials
- Chair Exercise Class
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Spiral CT
- Fixed-base MRI
- Interventional radiologist
- Accredited mammography programs and state of the art mammography equipment including the Alpha IQ mammography unit
- Surgery including a breast surgeon and sentinel node biopsy procedure
- Urologists and brachytherapy for prostate cancer
- Radiation therapy utilizing a new, state-of-the-art Varian iX Linear Accelerator ensures you are receiving the safest, most precise radiation treatment available.
- Hormone therapy
- Computerized, 3-D imaging for precise radiation dosage for tumors
At Avera Cancer Institute Yankton we draw from a large pool of experienced cancer professionals for the best in cancer treatment and support-all customized to meet each patient's unique needs. Learn more about the wide range of support services we offer.
Meet Dr. Peterson
Michael E. Peterson, M.D., is a Radiation Oncologist at Avera Cancer Institute Yankton. Board certified in Radiation Oncology and Internal Medicine, he formerly was Radiation Oncologist at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and Frankford Hospital, both in Philadelphia.
Learn more about Dr. Peterson
Informational Videos with Dr. Peterson