Avera Sacred Heart Physical Therapy
The Avera Sacred Heart Physical Therapy Department offers a full line of services for the patient requiring such therapeutic care. The department is committed to the evaluation, identification of treatment of persons whose function is impaired by physical illness and injury, emotional disorder, congenital or developmental disability or the aging process.
Physical Therapy Functions
The primary goals are to assist patients achieve optimum functioning; to prevent disabilities and further dysfunction; to maintain health; and to identify potential safety risks. Physical therapists function as an integral member of the health care team and serve as patient advocates. They serve as educators to patients, families and staff in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Types of Diagnoses Typically Seen
Avera Sacred Heart Hospital Physical Therapists treat patients whose limitations keep them from functioning at their maximum potential or partaking in meaningful, satisfying, day-to-day activities or routines or whose limitations may put them at risk for injury to themselves or others. Diagnoses include (but not limited to):
- Orthopedic patients
- Neurological problems
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Guillian Barre syndrome
- Sensory impairments
- Pulmonary problems
- Patients with cognitive, perceptual or emotional impairments
- Pediatric patients.
The Physical Therapy Department is equipped with a full range of equipment including:
- Full body whirlpools
- Pelvic Traction
- High voltage Galvanic stimulation
- Interferential electrical stimulation
- Continuous passive motion machines for knee
- Portable cardiac monitoring during Phase II program
- Biodex Isokinetic Testing/rehabilitation equipment
- Neuromuscular stimulation
- Evaluation and therapeutic exercise equipment
- Urinary Incontinence
- Aquatic Arthritis Program
- Sports Medicine
- Intensive Challenge Center
Hours of Operation
The department is staffed by licensed physical therapists, therapy assistants and technicians and licensed athletic trainers. Located on the second floor of the hospital, the Physical Therapy Department provides inpatient services seven days a week.
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to done
8:00 a.m. to done
Physical therapy for acute rehabilitation is available six days a week.
Outpatient PT is available five days per week and offered in the Avera Sacred Heart Wellness Center three days a week; M-W-F.
- Physical therapists also provide services to the nursing homes five days a week and coverage for swing beds six days a week.