Elekta Versa HD Radiation Oncology Treatment
Benefits of Versa HD
For question or to schedule an appointment, call 605-322-1625.
The Versa HD is just one form of treatment available to cancer patients. So how do you know if this could be your best option?
At Avera, a multidisciplinary team of specialists will help develop a care plan for your cancer that could include anything from surgery, to chemotherapy, radiation therapy and genomics.
One option for radiation therapy is using the Elekta Versa HD, located in Sioux Falls, S.D.
"Traditional radiation delivers a lower dose of radiation in a larger field. This technology delivers a high dose with high precision from hundreds of different angles, which all converge on the single spot of a small tumor. It is so precise, it is referred to as radiosurgery," said Dr. James Simon, Radiation Oncologist.
When Richard Ericsson turned 40 he made regular checkups a priority. During treatment, Richard received radiation through Elekta Versa HD™
View Richard's story
Benefits of Versa HD
- Reduces the treatment course – only one to five as opposed to 25 or more treatments
- Reduces treatment delivery time – treatments that once took hours will take a few minutes
- Makes effective treatment a possibility for patients with inoperable tumors or who are not surgical candidates
- Noninvasive – yet as precise as surgery
- No pain
- No incision
- No anesthesia or recovery time
- Few side effects
- Immediate return to normal activities
Versa HD is often used to treat:
- Patients with pancreas and kidney cancers
- Patients with head and neck cancers, due to the proximity of the tumor to nearby critical structures such as the spinal cord
- Patients with inoperable tumors in the brain and lung
- Patients with prostate cancer to ensure treatment is “on target”
- Patients with left-side breast cancer after lumpectomy to minimize exposure to the heart
Your radiation oncologist will determine if the Versa HD is appropriate for you and answer any questions you have.
What is Versa HD?
Traditional radiation vs. Versa HD
Who is the ideal patient?
Medical Minute: Raising the standard of cancer care