Help your child stay well at every stage of development - front infancy to young adulthood - with comprehensive children's health care at Avera.
Give It A Shot: Stay Up-to-Date on Immunizations
Children of all ages benefit from the proven safety and effectiveness of immunizations. Give your child the boost he or she needs to stay healthy.
Your family benefits from experienced Avera pediatric-care providers who specialize in areas such as:
- Allergy and immunology - Diagnoses and treats asthma, allergies and immune deficiency disorders
- Behavioral health - Cares for mental illnesses and substance abuse disorders through outpatient treatment and the region's only specialized child and adolescent inpatient units at Avera Behavioral Health Center
- Cardiac care including cardiac catheterization - Diagnoses and treats heart and blood vessel conditions
- Endocrinology - Deals with growth, metabolism - including diabetes and thyroid conditions - and sexual development
- Gastroenterology - Addresses digestive health, including liver and nutritional disorders
- Neonatal intensive care - Cares for newborns and premature infants in need of specialized care after birth
- Orthopedics - Diagnoses and treats sports injuries and other conditions affecting bones, joints and muscles
- Pediatric intensive care and trauma care - Provides specialized care for critically ill and hospitalized children
- Primary care - Helps prevent illness or injury, offers well-child checkups and immunizations, treats everyday concerns such as ear infections and stomachaches, and refers you to specialists when necessary
- Pulmonology and sleep medicine - Makes breathing easier and treats chronic lung conditions
- Radiology - Creates images of the inside of the body, reduces radiation doses whenever possible and helps children feel comfortable before and during tests
Increase the odds of lifelong healthy vision by getting care early for your child's eyes, for example, if your infant or child experiences eye redness, discharge, misalignment, jiggling or sensitivity to light, or you notice squinting, trouble reading, a droopy eyelid or chronic closing of one eye. Count on Avera to treat pediatric eye disorders and provide exams that can rule out vision problems in children with suspected learning disabilities.
Learn How to Raise Healthy Kids
Protect your child's health with help from Avera's education and resources, including:
Avera Children's Hospital
At Avera Children’s Hospital — located in Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD, — your family gains access to the same services you’d find at a freestanding children’s hospital. Find all the care that your child needs in one location.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Your infant is in good hands at our Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), designed especially for babies who were born at less than 32 weeks gestation or have special medical needs.
In addition to benefiting from onsite neonatal experts, you gain immediate access to offsite pediatric intensivists and neonatologists through Avera CareView, telemedicine technology that helps provide the fastest possible care.
Your young loved one gets timely, child-friendly care at Avera Emergency Departments across the Upper Midwest. Find in-house emergency doctors at numerous locations, or immediately available via eEmergency. Avera McKennan’s Emergency Department is known for fast door-to-doctor times, and while you’re waiting, your child can enjoy a play room. Private rooms help calm your family during a visit. After a traumatic injury or serious illness, Avera Careflight quickly transports your infant, child or adolescent to a hospital for potentially lifesaving care.
If your child experiences a minor condition when your pediatrician isn’t available, choose Avera urgent care services. Walk in to an urgent care location or AveraNow clinic near you for convenient, timely attention—days, nights and weekends.