Kidney Care & Dialysis
Kidney disease is on the rise. And it’s more common than you may realize. While there are many different causes, diabetes and high blood pressure are often the culprits while obesity increases your risk. Inherited and environmental causes may also play a role. For help staying as well as possible, take advantage of Avera’s comprehensive renal (kidney) services.
Nephrology: Why Specialty Care is Important
Benefit from the care of nephrologists – board-certified physicians who specialize in kidney disease. Specialized kidney care is vital early in the disease process, especially before the loss of significant kidney function. Slow the progression of kidney disease with the help of Avera nephrologists who are also recognized by the American Society of Hypertension as specialists in high blood pressure.
Conditions We Treat
Rely on Avera’s expertise for the diagnosis and treatment of kidney disorders, such as:
Beyond medications, your personalized treatment plan may include dialysis or kidney transplant.
Dialysis allows you to live better with end-stage kidney disease – while waiting for a transplant or if transplant isn’t a possibility for you. Although nothing can completely replace the function of a human kidney, dialysis is your next best option for maintaining life and health.
Feel confident about receiving the highest quality of care and comfort, delivered with the compassion for which Avera is known, when you select an Avera location for dialysis. All our sites across the region meet or exceed national standards for kidney dialysis.
When you visit one of our dialysis locations, you benefit from:
- Avera nephrologists on-site or available by telemedicine to monitor your care and answer questions
- Latest technology including dialysis machines connected to Avera’s electronic medical record to provide constant access for kidney doctors
- Advanced monitors to continuously measure dialysis fluid adjustments and reduce the potential for side effects such as fluid fluctuations
- Same-day lab results from on-site laboratories, interfaced real-time to electronic medical record and AveraChart
- Dialysis access surgery to allow for adequate blood flow and safely remove toxins from the blood
- Home peritoneal and hemodialysis options
Personalized Care and Comfort
In addition, take advantage of the convenience available at Avera dialysis locations, such as:
- Pharmacy prescription tracking, phone call refill reminders, free prescription mail delivery or in-person at dialysis locations and co-pays that match retail pharmacies
- Patient and family educational programs in partnership with the National Kidney Foundation of the Dakotas designed to support effective kidney and dialysis care for you and your family
- Private conference suite to meet with your care team of professionals, which may include:
- Social workers to facilitate your overall plan
- Patient advocates who can help you understand your insurance plan and communicate with your insurance provider
- Primary nurses
- Dialysis technicians
- Diabetes specialists, chaplains and more
Among amenities offered for your comfort at Avera dialysis facilities are:
- Soothing natural light and options for window view
- Specialized chairs with heat and massage
- Blanket warmers
- Plenty of electrical outlets for your mobile devices
Should you receive a diagnosis of kidney failure, ask your doctor about the possibility of a kidney transplant—the best possible option for vastly improved health, longevity and quality of life, especially when you are paired with a living kidney donor. Transplant can double or triple life expectancy over staying on dialysis, and also saves medical expense over time.
First & Leading Transplant Program in the Region
Avera offers the Dakota’s largest and most experienced kidney transplant program at Avera Transplant Institute in Sioux Falls, SD. Receive personalized care from our multidisciplinary team of physicians dedicated to managing diseases through innovative therapies and transplantation.
Patient Appreciates Dialysis Center
Fred Manfred of Luverne, Minnesota, travels to Avera in Sioux Falls for dialysis three days a week to receive treatments that last up to four hours. He said he chose the location because “I knew my physician would be in the same building, just two floors down, if I ever had any problem. That was very important to me. Also, Avera offers all the medical services I might need, A to Z, on one campus. I often have doctor appointments after dialysis, so all I need to do is get in the elevator and go down two floors."
Fred appreciates the chairs with heat and massage and the facility’s south wall of windows. “Because I spend so many hours in a dialysis center, daylight is very important to me. These seem like little things, but to dialysis patients, they mean a lot."