March of Dimes NICU Family Support®
Jackie Vander Woude
March of Dimes NICU Family Support Specialist
The NICU Family Support Program® is an important component of the March of Dimes Prematurity Campaign, a nationwide effort to address the growing problem of premature birth.
Implemented at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center in July 2007, the program has components that make it unique and beneficial to the families with babies in the NICU at Avera McKennan.
- A part-time March of Dimes NICU Family Support Specialist with NICU experience is available at the hospital to work with families and staff.
- A Chapter NICU Action Committee (CNAC) consisting of NICU families and professionals that guide the program selection, dev
elopment and implementation.
- March of Dimes volunteers who provide parent-to-parent support to families while they are in the NICU.
- Sensitive and engaging Parent Care Kits are given to families in the NICU to help introduce parents to the procedures, conditions, and staff they may encounter while in the NICU.
- Customized programs to serve the specific needs of the Avera McKennan NICU and the population it supports.
- Professional development opportunities for NICU staff to help them sensitively support
families on a daily basis.