Breastfeeding & Lactation Services
When you choose to breastfeed, you enhance your child’s lifelong health as you develop a close bond, provide the best possible nutrition and even save money. Although breastfeeding may not always be easy, you can count on the support for success you’ll receive at Avera locations across the Upper Midwest.
Compassionate Care for Breastfeeding Moms
Benefit from free assistance with breastfeeding and lactation from International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and registered nurses specially trained in breastfeeding support. Services may include:
- Preparation for breastfeeding class for expectant parents
- Breastfeeding training and assistance throughout your hospital stay
- Kangaroo (skin-to-skin) Care to facilitate early breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding products available through Avera@Home home medical equipment:
- Medela breast pump rental or purchase
- Breast pumping accessories
- Breast care products
- Nursing pillows
- Maternity/new mother bras and panties
- Breastfeeding follow-up as needed even after you leave the hospital
- Assistance with transitioning from home to work
Milk Collection Depot
Donate your extra breastmilk to the Avera Milk Collection Depot and help other new moms provide their newborns with the best nutrition. As Milk Collection Depots for the Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD, and Avera St. Luke’s Hospital in Aberdeen, SD, collect, store and transport donated mother’s milk to be processed and distributed to those in need.
If you’re interested in becoming a milk donor, contact the Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa at 877-891-5347.
Take advantage of Avera’s online resources, such as the breastfeeding section of our health library and downloadable PDFs, including:
Learn more about how to make a successful transition with breastfeeding and returning to work.
Find breast pumps and a complete line of breastfeeding supplies at Avera@Home home medical equipment locations.