Childbirth Education Classes
Becoming a parent – for the first time or the fifth time – is both exciting and overwhelming. Thankfully, you’re not alone as you navigate parenthood. Find the support and encouragement you need before, during and after pregnancy through childbirth education classes at Avera locations across the Upper Midwest.
Learn from the Experts
Take advantage of a variety of classes where you’ll learn from Avera experts while planning and making decisions about your baby’s birth and new life together. To find and register for a class, view our list of current classes.
While not all classes are available at every location, you can get more information by contacting your nearest Avera pregnancy and birth location.
Maybe a Baby?
Thinking about having a baby? Come to our free Maybe A Baby event, held multiple times a year – both in person and online. Talk one-on-one with our pregnancy and birth care team as they cover topics such as:
- Pregnancy planning
- Financial planning
- Healthy living, including nutrition and fitness
Get all the childbirth information you need. Tour your birthing facility while learning about labor and delivery, breastfeeding and practical parenting tips. You’ll also have the opportunity to practice:
- Positions, breathing, relaxation and massage for labor
- Bathing, changing, swaddling and soothing a crying baby
Weekend Prepared Childbirth
Attend this all-day Prepared Childbirth class, offered on select Saturdays, to learn about:
- Signs and stages of labor
- Comfort measures to use during labor
- Pain relief options
- Information about cesarean section
Online Prepared Childbirth
If your busy schedule doesn’t allow you to attend a class in person, join our Prepared Childbirth eClass from the convenience of your home. During this virtual class, you’ll receive all of the information, videos, printable handouts and practice sessions you need to prepare for your baby’s birth. This face-to-face class also includes a tour and the opportunity to practice positions, breathing, relaxation, massage and have your questions answered by pregnancy and birth professionals.
Discover how to trust your body and work with it by using guided imagery, visualization, and special breathing to have a safe and satisfying birth. During this class – taught by a Certified HypnoBirthing instructor – you’ll learn:
- Techniques of deep relaxation
- How to create your body’s own natural relaxant
- Natural ways to bring your body through labor
- How you and your birthing companion can create a birthing environment that is calm, serene and joyful
- How to use your natural birthing instincts to birth your baby in a way that most closely mirrors the way nature intended
Caring for Your Newborn
Get the information you need to feel comfortable caring for your new baby, such as:
- Newborn physical and behavior traits
- Feeding options
- What to do when baby cries
- Circumcision care
- Home safety issues
- Care for mom after the baby is born
- How to involve family in the baby’s care
Whether you’re already planning to breastfeed or still deciding, attend this class taught by Certified Lactation Consultants to learn more. Encourage fathers and support persons to join you for this class. Breastfeeding and lactation topics will include:
- Health benefits for you and your baby
- Tips for success
- Problem-solving techniques
- Father's role
- Breast pumps
- Returning to work and breastfeeding
The first few months of life are important to your developing baby. This class helps you get your pregnancy and baby off to a good start. Join us to learn about:
- Growth and development of the fetus
- Emotional and physical changes for mom
- Nutritional needs and avoiding harmful substances
- What to expect at your doctor appointments and what tests will be done
- How partners can be involved in the pregnancy experience
Invite your baby’s grandparents to join this fun class designed to share ways in which they can support and encourage you as a new parent. Topics include:
- Current birth options
- Changes in baby care skills
- Grandparents’ role
- Fostering traditions
- Long-distance grandparenting
If you’re expecting twins, triplets or more, you face special challenges during pregnancy and childbirth, as well as when caring for more than one baby at home. This class provides you with the information and support you need to care for multiple blessings. Attend this class before your fifth month of pregnancy.
New Baby in Our Family – Siblings Class
Help big brothers and sisters – ages 2 to 10 – learn how to prepare for the arrival of a new baby. They’ll hear all about newborns, change and feed a doll, discover what to expect when living with a new baby and tour the Avera location where their sibling will be born.
If you’ve already had a baby, join this class for a refresher course on relaxation and breathing techniques for labor, comfort and coping measures, birth options and choices and sibling adjustment.
Across the Avera region, you may also be able to choose from additional classes, such as:
- Newborn Baby Care
- Infant CPR
- Teenage Pregnancy