Provider Visits via Smartphone, Tablet, or Laptop
You’re too busy to get sick, so we’re making it easy to connect with a provider, no matter the time or location. Best of all, you don’t have to be an established patient with Avera to use this service.
* Avera Health Plans now provides this program free for members. Limitations do apply. Members Learn More Now>>
What is AveraNow?
AveraNow is a mobile video visit that gives you immediate access to health care from the palm of your hand, using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Avera Now couples the expertise of Avera eCARE and American Well, a company that developed the number-one rated telehealth app of 2014. This is a faster, easier way to see a doctor via video visit. It's easy to use, private and secure.
- Video visits using the web or mobile app
- Consultation, diagnosis — even prescriptions (when appropriate)
When is it available?
- Available 24/7 for ages 2 and up.
- Patients must have a phone, desktop or tablet with video and audio capabilities.
- If you are experiencing any of the following issues:
- Urinary tract infections (Females age 16 and older only.)
- Sinus infections
- Seasonal allergies
- Pink eye
- Acid reflux
- Cold sores
If you need emergency care, call 911.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does it work?
To use AveraNow:
- Download the app to your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Create an account. You do not need to be an established Avera patient to create an account. Once it’s created, your information is securely stored for future visits.
- Fill out a questionnaire about your symptoms, medications and health history.
- Select a provider who is currently available to see patients.
- Talk to your provider via a video visit. Conversations typically last about 10 minutes during which symptoms, family history, diagnosis and treatment will be discussed. If necessary, the provider will send a prescription to a pharmacy of your choosing. Check with your health plan for in-network options.
What is the cost?
Visits cost a flat fee of $49 payable by credit or debit card.
It is not necessary to have insurance as this will not be processed through a health plan.
AveraNow qualifies for medical reimbursement as an allowable expense. You can use your Flexible Spending Account for payment. It is always best to check with your specific health plan provider as the IRS regulations can change.
AveraNow is a FREE program for Avera Health Plans members* who qualify and have coverage in 2016. You need a temporary AveraNow Access Coupon Code to receive the service free.
*Click here to identify if you qualify as a member of Avera Health Plans.
Can I use the app if I don't have a smartphone?
All users with a webcam-equipped computer who has the app on their PC can use AveraNow. The key requirements are the AveraNow app and a camera-equipped phone, tablet or computer.
Is my information secure?
Yes, AveraNow is designed to be a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially consult with a health care provider online.
Can I use AveraNow when I'm traveling?
AveraNow is available to users in South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota.
What kind of prescriptions can I get?
AveraNow providers can prescribe most prescriptions for common illnesses. They are unable to prescribe controlled substances and certain lifestyle medications such as Viagra.
Will I see my regular doctor if I use AveraNow?
Depending on how your health care provider uses AveraNow, you may log on and see the same staff and doctors you’d see if you came into the office for an in-person visit. In other instances, you may log on and see staff and doctors who are part of Avera’s larger network of health care providers.
How do I add my spouse?
Your spouse should create a separate account to enroll.
How do I add a child to my account?
Parents and guardians can add their children who are under age 18 to their account and have visits on their behalf. Enroll yourself first and then add your child or dependent to your account.
What do I do if I have a child over 18 who is still on my health insurance?
They should enroll as an adult and create their own separate account.
How do I obtain my patient-specific health care information?
Your medical records are available at AveraChart, Avera’s secure online medical record portal.
How do I request a change or update to my record?
If you wish to discuss changes or updates to your record, please email us and we will set up a time for you to speak with your provider about your request.
How do I obtain general health care information?
To obtain general health information, please visit our health library.
Feedback or Complaints
How Do I Provide Feedback?
To provide feedback, please contact us via email or 605-322-8191.
How do I Register Complaints with Organization, Medical Board or Licensing Boards?
To register a complaint, please visit the state website in the state where you reside:
Patient Online Resources
Structure of Services
1. Urgent Care Services – on demand only for basic conditions, appointments not available at this time.
2. Health Coaching – by appointment only and referral from primary care provider needed with limited availability at this time.