You’re too busy to get sick, so we’re making it easy to connect with a provider, no matter the time or location. Best of all, you don’t have to be an established patient with Avera to use this service.
AveraNow is a mobile video visit that gives you immediate access to health care from the palm of your hand, using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Avera Now couples the expertise of Avera eCARE and American Well, a company that developed the number-one rated telehealth app of 2014. This is a faster, easier way to see a doctor via video visit. The virtual doctor visit is easy, private and secure.
Patient must have a phone, desktop or tablet with video and audio capabilities.
AveraNow is not intended to replace visiting your Primary Care Provider on a regular basis for chronic and routine care. Patients requesting prescription refills, lab orders and other testing will be referred to see their Primary Care Provider and may still be responsible for the $49.00 visit fee.
How does it work?
To use AveraNow:
- Download the app to your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Create an account. You do not need to be an established Avera patient to create an account. Once it’s created, your information is securely stored for future visits.
- Fill out a questionnaire about your symptoms, medications and health history.
- Select a provider who is currently available to see patients.
- Talk to your provider via a video visit. Conversations typically last about 10 minutes during which symptoms, family history, diagnosis and treatment will be discussed. If necessary, the provider will send a prescription to a pharmacy of your choosing. Check with your health plan for in-network options.
- A Visit Summary will be sent to your your AveraNow profile inbox recapping your visit date/time, the Provider you saw and any Provider notes and any pertinent prescription information for your records.
What is the cost?
Visits cost a flat fee of $49 payable by credit or debit card. It is not necessary to have insurance to use AveraNow.
AveraNow qualifies for medical reimbursement as an allowable expense. You can use your Flexible Spending Account for payment. It is always best to check with your specific health plan provider when using your Health Savings Accounts as the IRS regulations can change. Record of your billing activity is stored in your profile under the ‘My Health’ tab. From there you can access your previous visit records, including a claims receipt you can email and print for flex spending reimbursement.
Can I use the app if I don't have a smartphone?
All users with a webcam-equipped computer who has the app on their PC can use AveraNow. The key requirements are the AveraNow app and a camera-equipped phone, tablet or computer.
Is my information secure?
Yes, AveraNow is designed to be a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially consult with a health care provider online.
What are the technical requirements?
For the best experience when using the AveraNow app on your Andrioid or iOS device, a wi-fi connection is recommended, and may be required by your operator in order to have a visit.
You can access AveraNow from your Andrioid or iOS mobile device using the native app. Simply visit Google Play or the Apple Store to download the app and follow the instructions to get started!
AveraNow is not currently available using the web browser on your mobile device.
To use American Well on your mobile device, ensure that your device meets the requirements below.
- AveraNow app installed (see above)
- To support two-way video visits, your device must have a front-facing camera
- Operating System - iOS (v7.0 or later required)
*NOTE: support for iOS7 will be discontinued starting with the v9.2 mobile app; iOS 8 or later will be required. For devices running iOS7, users will be required to update the device to iOS 8 or 9 before they are able to download the 9.2 mobile app.
- iPhone 4S or later*
- iPad 2 or later, iPad Mini, or iPad Air
- iPod Touch 5th generation
- Operating System - Android (Gingerbread v4.0.0 or above)
- Android Phone
- Android Tablet
- Not supported: HTC myTouch, and the PantechP9070
For the best experience when using AveraNow on the web, high-speed broadband Internet access (e.g., cable, DSL) is recommended
- A minimum bandwidth of 1 Mb/s upload/download is required. However, bandwidth of 3 Mb/s is recommended for optimal experience
- For the best video quality, connect via a “wired” Internet connection.
- To ensure sufficient video quality, a wired internet connection is required.
- A minimum bandwidth of 5 Mb/s download / 1 mbps upload is required if line will not be shared with other users; the kiosk should be connected as broadband.
- If kiosk line will be shared, 5 Mb/s download and 5 Mb/s upload is strongly recommended for optimal user experience
To take advantage of the enhanced video capabilities, ensure that there is no conflicting software running in the background. There may be other software installed on your workstation that can cause issues with enhanced video. This includes other applications that may try to use your webcam (e.g., WebEx, GoToMeeting, Skype, etc.). Be sure that you have completely quit or exited out of any of these applications prior to having a visit.
If you experience issues connecting with enhanced video, contact your network administrator to ensure the network is configured correctly to allow enhanced video to operate.
For access via the web, ensure that your workstation meets the requirements below.
- Operating Systems:
- Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Mac: OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard” or later (Intel CPUs only)
- NOTE: Linux OS (including Chromebook devices) are not supported
- Adobe Flash Plug-In v10.1 or greater installed
* Firefox users must have the latest version of Flash installed. Visit the following website to check for the latest version available: http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- Adobe Reader 7 or greater installed
- USB or built-in webcam (required for two-way video during web visits)
- Audio – to minimize feedback use headphones, or a headset with built-in microphone
Can I use AveraNow when I'm traveling?
AveraNow is available to users that are phyisically located in our five state service area at the time of the encounter. Our service area includes South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota. If you live in, but are traveling outside of, one of the five states we service our Providers will not have licensure in your area to complete a visit on AveraNow.
Questions about your AveraNow prescription?
AveraNow Providers can prescribe most prescriptions for common illnesses. They are unable to prescribe controlled substances and certain lifestyle medications such as Viagra.
Can I have my current prescription refilled by an AveraNow Provider?
- Patients requesting prescription refills will be referred to see their Primary Care Provider and may still be responsible for the $49.00 visit fee.
Questions about a prescription your received on AveraNow?
- Check the ‘Visit Summary’ you received in your AveraNow inbox to see if a Pharmacy Hotline phone number is available in your area.
- Reconnect online with an AveraNow Urgent Care Provider 24/7/365 for your follow up questions. The $49.00 visit fee will be waived for all prescription follow up questions.
AveraNow prescription missing, or not received, by your Pharmacy?
- Monday – Friday (8:00am – 5:00pm CST) Contact the AveraNow Service Line Manager for assistance at 855-269-3551 (option 2)
- Reconnect online with an AveraNow Urgent Care Provider 24/7/365 to have your Prescription resent to your Pharmacy. The $49.00 visit fee will be waived for all prescription follow up questions.
SD residents with questions about Naloxone, please contact the AveraNow Service Line Manager at 855-269-3551 (option 2) for more information.
Will I see my regular doctor if I use AveraNow?
Depending on how your health care provider uses AveraNow, you may log on and see the same staff and doctors you’d see if you came into the office for an in-person visit. In other instances, you may log on and see staff and doctors who are part of Avera’s larger network of health care providers.
How do I add my spouse?
Your spouse should create a separate account to enroll.
How do I add a child to my account?
Parents and guardians can add their children who are under age 18 to their account and have visits on their behalf. Enroll yourself first and then add your child or dependent to your account. Consumers will be prompted to log in under the appropriate patient account prior to connecting with a Provider to ensure that all visit notes and any necessary prescriptions are under the correct patient name and date of birth.
What do I do if I have a child over 18 who is still on my health insurance?
They should enroll as an adult and create their own separate account.
How do I obtain my patient-specific health care information?
Your AveraNow Visit Summaries will be stored in your profile under the ‘My Health’ tab. From there you can access your previous visit records, including a claims receipt you can email and print for flex spending reimbursement.
How do I request a change or update to my record?
If you wish to discuss changes or updates to your record, please email us and we will set up a time for you to speak with your provider about your request.
How do I obtain general health care information?
To obtain general health information, please visit our health library.
Feedback or Complaints
How Do I Provide Feedback?
To provide feedback, please contact us via email or 605-322-8191.
How do I Register Complaints with Organization, Medical Board or Licensing Boards?
To register a complaint, please visit the state website in the state where you reside:
Patient Online Resources
Structure of Services
1. Urgent Care Services – on demand only for basic conditions, appointments not available at this time.
2. Health Coaching – by appointment only and referral from primary care provider needed with limited availability at this time.