Preparing for Your Mammogram
When you schedule your mammogram at Avera, your screening takes place in a private, comfortable room, where a registered female radiologic technologist with advanced certification in mammography will accompany you at each step of the process.
Give yourself the best experience possible and follow these tips to prepare for your screening.
Before Your Test
- Consider scheduling your appointment for the week after your period, typically, the time when your breasts are least tender.
- Wash your underarms and breasts. Do not use deodorant, lotion or powders.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in.
- Wear comfortable clothing, with a separate top you can easily remove.
- If used, remove any deodorant, powder or lotions from your underarms and breasts prior to the mammogram.
Also, please inform your technologist if you:
- Have any history of breast cancer yourself or in your family
- Are pregnant or could be pregnant
- Are currently breastfeeding or stopped within the last three months
- Have any scars or moles on or near your breasts
- Have ever had a breast biopsy or breast surgery
- Have breast implants
During Your Test
- Your breast will be gently positioned on the platform by your technologist. A special pad will provide a soft, warm cushion between you and the mammography unit.
- When positioned correctly, your breast will slowly be compressed to provide the most detailed image possible.
- You’ll stand still for a few seconds during the imaging process.
After Your Test
- You can resume your normal daily activities.
- Your images will be read by a board certified radiologist, and the results will be sent to you and to your health care provider.
- You will be notified of the results in writing or in your AveraChart. Review any questions with your health care provider.